Need help with joystick pinouts

Hello! I have a old Xbox controller with two analog joysticks i would like to make into a joystick for my Arduino, Although I can't seem to find any pictures or anything that shows me what pins are what. I need to find out what the pins are. can anyone help?
Here is the joystick: http://goo.gl/A4GrQd

I see two standard potentiometers (one for each axis) and a button. Use them like any other pot or button.

I need to find out what the pins are. can anyone help?

The two joystick pots are on the right hand side of the joystick in the picture you linked to, and the center pin on the pot should be the pot wiper pin which connects to an analog in pin. The two outer pins are connected to 5v and ground.

Hi,
Have you a DMM?
The pots on the side if they are marked as in the picture, are 10K Ohms linear.
Use the DMM to find the correct pins on the tactile switch for a normally open contact connections.

Tom..... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
The pots on the side if they are marked as in the picture, are 10K Ohms linear.

The potentiometers are probably not linear: they are likely have a 'dead zone' around the middle position so you need to move the joystick significantly before you get any change in the resistances.

Hi,
B103, 10k, standard trim pots, cobbled into a high volume cheap product.

Tom... :slight_smile:

TomGeorge:
B103, 10k, standard trim pots, cobbled into a high volume cheap product.

They are not standard trim pots. They have a 'dead zone' as mentioned and only about 90 degrees of rotation.

Archibald:
They are not standard trim pots. They have a 'dead zone' as mentioned and only about 90 degrees of rotation.

They may have further restrictions, the available XBOX compatible joysticks cover only part of the supply voltage. Dunno if that's only due to the restricted turning/tilt angle.

DrDiettrich:
They may have further restrictions, the available XBOX compatible joysticks cover only part of the supply voltage. Dunno if that's only due to the restricted turning/tilt angle.

The one I have is from a different supplier but looks identical (apart from some of the text on the potentiometers). The sliding contact of each potentiometer covers the whole supply voltage. The joystick can be moved from the central position by about 45 degrees on either axis. There is no change in output voltage over about the first 10 degrees, the 'dead zone' mentioned; but from about 25 to 45 degrees the voltage has reached a supply rail. This means the useful changes in voltages occur only between about 10 degrees and 25 degrees: very poor indeed. If my prototype proves successful I will be purchasing a professional joystick but they are very many times expensive.

I just checked one of my replacement joystick modules similar to the one linked to earlier, and measured ~10k ohms across the pot, and ~5K ohms at the center wiper pin. Moving the stick I see no dead band associated with the pot.

It's way cheaper to simulate the dead-band in software than have a special pot. I'm stunned anything made for consumer use in the past decade used a special purpose pot for this.