Need some advice/direction for Project: Powering/Controlling a Peltier Cooler

Hello,
I guess my basic question is regarding what would be the best method for arduino to control a peltier cooler? Should I use a relay? Variable resistor? I am just brain storming right now and would love to hear what you guys think would be the best method for this? The peltier cooler could be drawing up to 15A so I am 100% sure I can't send that through the board without frying everything.

Also, what would you recommend for me to purchase? What board should I get?

Thanks,
Alan

I think a logic-level MOSFET would be your best bet. It's a kind of transistor with a very low ON resistance so it's good a t switching large loads. The logic-level versions are designed to be switched b a 5V logic output such as those available on the Arduino. Pick a MOSFET based on its voltage and current limits being higher than your device's requirements. Note that you will probably need a good heatsink to allow the MOSFET to get anywhere its current limit. For example the MOSFETS in the MakerBot Extruder Controller are rated for something like 9 Amps but if you run more than 3 without a heatsink they will overheat and shut down.

Unless you have a specific reason to use a different model (and nothing you have said indicates that you do) you should get the Arduino UNO.

Thanks for the advice!

Definitely looks like the best idea and I will be picking up a board very soon. I will definitely keep the heatsink in mind, I am sure I can find one from an old northbridge or cpu that I haven't used in forever. Possibly wire up a fan too if it gets out of control.

I talked to a few of the EE guys and they recommended your advice too so I am pretty sure this would be the best method.