Need some help with Wemos D1 and Ring Clock

I made a Ring clock using a 60 pixel LED ring and a Wemos D1 mini that accesses an NTP server and sets the time on the clock. It works great! Now I built another one, identical to the first one, using the same type of pixel ring, the same Wemos D1 mini and the same sketch, and for some reason I'm having a problem with it.

On the first clock, when you plug it in, the first two pixels light up for about 2 to 3 seconds while the Wemos boots up and accesses the NTP server and then the clock displays the time as it should.

With the second clock, when you plug it in, the first two pixels light up and then it seems to hang there. If I disconnect the data pin from the Wemos, plug the Wemos in and wait about 3 or 4 seconds while the Wemos boots up and then plug the data pin back in, it displays the clock as it should.

I have checked all of the connections and everything looks as it should. I don't understand why it won't display the clock on normal bootup but it does if you boot up with the data pin unplugged and then plug it in after it has booted up.

Any thoughts on this?

Hard to say without any code or circuit. Maybe some Serial.print() statements to debug the issue?

Yes, I can check debug but I didn't include code because the sketch is the exact same sketch I used on the first clock and it is working great. I'll try debugging again.

Thanks

I ran the serial monitor again. Firstly, the sketch will not upload while the data pin is connected to the Wemos. I get these errors:

warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

As mentioned above, if I disconnect the data pin before uploading, it will upload the sketch with no errors. After the upload is completed the serial monitor shows that the Wemos has connected to the server and it displays the hours, minutes and seconds. I can then plug the data pin into the Wemos and the clock runs the way it is supposed to.

I think that if the problem was the sketch, it wouldn't work on the first clock either.

I can then plug the data pin into the Wemos

Starting with your original post, can you see how expecting us to know what data pin you are talking about is unreasonable?