New authentication system / SSO (2020-03-02)

(deleted)

Some may see a "double sign in" where you go to the main page and sign in then have to sign in again in the forum.

A few more may see a "triple sign in"

If you see the triple please add any extra details if you can.

@lucaosti, it's great to see you contributing to the Forum.

...R

Timeout periods for being logged in seem shorter. I thought Aliexpress was bad but .................

(deleted)

Unusable.
All kinds of CloudFlare timeouts, blaming the server.

Same problems here

Error 520 Ray ID: 56ea41313f5fce73 • 2020-03-04 08:33:50 UTC Web server is returning an unknown error

If you are the owner of this website: There is an issue between Cloudflare's cache and your origin web server

I'm getting flashbacks.

Over 5 years ago, there was a major update over here. It lead to years of troubles and frustration, and many of those problems are still here.

So let's do that once more, and start fiddling with the sign ins though some extra layers. What can go wrong, doing that with the live site and forum ?

Every 3 clicks gets me another time out error now.

lucaosti: ...Maybe one day I'll also post something different than "hey guys, sorry if something is broken ¯_(ツ)_/¯"

Don't worry about that. The "hey guys, we're working on the problem ..." messages are very welcome.

...R

MAS3: So let's do that once more, and start fiddling with the sign ins though some extra layers. What can go wrong, doing that with the live site and forum ?

This seems a very important point ...

If there are plans afoot to move the Forum to a completely new platform why is anyone

{A} wasting time "improving" the existing platform

and

{B} running the risk of breaking something that has been working reasonably well.

By the way it was working very poorly for me this morning but seems to have improved about 10 minutes ago.

...R

To follow on from my previous Reply ...

If the Arduino team was in the habit of consulting and advising us users before changes are made we would have the opportunity to express the sort of comments I and @MAS3 just made when there was still time to take them into account.

(Which does not mean that I expect everything I suggest to be accepted or adopted)

...R

(deleted)

I'm experiencing some annoyances/weird behaviours, but i cant tell if they are relating the forum authentication. They did suddenly occur since march 6 (meaning i noticed it at that time, may have been going on for 2 days or so).

(deleted)

lucaosti: until the latest tweaks:

What is the purpose of those tweaks? - there is a good adage "If it works don't fix it".

I thought the general plan is to get new Forum software so I don't understand why time is being spent on the system that is on its way to the trash.

...R

Hi Robin.

From my understanding some parts "have" to be updated to stay in line with the rest of the site. Otherwise its "maintenance only"

Not so much throwing good after bad but keeping things going at the very least. The forum is only essentially just a rusty bolt on to the rest of the site but has to still interact with it.

ballscrewbob: The forum is only essentially just a rusty bolt on to the rest of the site but has to still interact with it.

Why not have it interact a lot less closely? There could easily be a Forum with a simple link to the main Arduino website and vice versa. I don't think there is any stuff that I access on the main website that would require me to login to it - for example looking up the reference section or product details or downloading a version of the IDE.

I suspect it is this desire for close interaction that has been the cause of several problems with the Forum.

...R

PS ... Neither do I see any reason why any new Forum software should have close interaction with the main Arduino website.

Just because you dont use other parts of the site doesn't mean everybody else doesn't. People come into the forum from different places or enter other parts of the site from the forum.

Those paths provide traffic to and from products and services in a multitude of ways.

Yes they could just close off most of the traffic and provide a single route. However that's not good for business or general interactions.

You can see how the search works and uses essentially google or other search engines. Those links proliferate from the forum or other parts related to the forum. How many of us have posted links to the reference sections, the shop, and other parts of the site ? That throughput and seamless ability means there are multiple pathways in and out / vias etc. Removing all those would break the forum considerably more than minor essential maintenance.

ballscrewbob: Yes they could just close off most of the traffic and provide a single route. However that's not good for business or general interactions.

I was not at all suggesting that.

What I am questioning is what parts of the non-Forum Arduino website actually require a person to be signed in. I suspect it is only necessary if someone actually wants to purchase something.

...R

There are also a few other areas too Robin.

The EDU side and CREATE, CHROME APP, IOT cloud, and a couple more all require a sign in. Then there are the newer compliance rules in two major areas US and EU if you missed those two emails. As there are "paid" services within Arduino the authentication needs to be additionally compliant with a lot more things and yet transparent enough to allow those people to move around without extra logins. That is also part of the reason I suspect that the SSO was introduced a while back.

Proper sign in and authentication are a big thing and all that has to be made to work with the older forum software regardless. Otherwise some parts may even need to be closed off and that is something I dont think any of us want.

People using those paid or free but needing authentication need to be able to wander freely as a cloud :grin: