New project, please help!

Hi guys! I'm new here and new with arduino too. Recenlty my car navigation hood (tablet conversion) PCB broke down, and now i have to choose other option to open and close the screen hood. I choosed arduino for this task, i've searched the net for answers but i have not found exactly what need it for this. I have 2 buttons that controlls the hood, 1 open/close button and 1 tilt button with 3 tilt stages. Basicly i need arduino to control the 12V motor (inside hood) like the stock pcb did: 1 push open/close - open the hood, 1 push open/close - close the hood; 1 push tilt - tilt 1 stage, 2 pushes - 2 stages, 3 pushes - 3 stages, 4th push - reset to max. Also when ignition/ACC off it should remeber the hood position (tilt position also) open or closed. Besides Arduino i've read that i need Arduino Motor Shield. Do i need anything else for this job? Also how or where can i find some ideeas for writting the code for these tasks. Thank you for reading my post!

Did you play around with the Arduino already? Do the blink example, make some more LED's blink, etc? If no, start with that. it will make you familiar with programming the Arduino.

Next up, do you have any idea what kind of motors they are? Are they DC motors, servos, stepper motors? Are there encoders to the motors? How else does the logic know where to stop? You need this information to know how to drive them. The most used motor shields can either drive 2 DC motors or 1 stepper. If it is a servo, the Arduino can drive this, as long as you supply the servo power outside of the Arduino.

We're going to need some more information before any advice can be given, and you will need to dig up that information yourself.

Thank you for responding! I did not played with arduino yet.the motor has a sensor or so, on it with 3 wires that goes to pcb, beside the 2 wires of the motor itself. the 12V power can be provided from the Navi Unit wiring loom. the system in question is a Mazda Navi unit if you are familiar with it. I'm new to this field so bare with me...don't know difference between DC,stepper or servo, for me all is the same :) as long is 12V...

If you don't know the difference between those motors, you probably don't know what motors are in the system. Arduino is fun and pretty easy, but it's not Lego's. Before working on this, especially in your car, start learning about electronics in general and Arduino coding first. This is a car we are talking about, not a toy. If something goes wrong with what you build and shorts out and/or catches fire, it is not only your life on the line.

thanks, i think it is a DC motor, if it has only 2 wires.So beside Arduino and Arduino motor Shield do i need anything else?Does the motor shield remeber the position of the motor when power is off?

gogoasa3: thanks, i think it is a DC motor, if it has only 2 wires.So beside Arduino and Arduino motor Shield do i need anything else?Does the motor shield remeber the position of the motor when power is off?

Yes, that sounds like a DC motor.

You might need more stuff depending on your specific needs. I'm not clear on the device you are replacing. Can you post a link to something about it? Like a schematic, or part number or ... whatever?

If it's a DC motor, you won't be able to remember the position without more hardware, and a lot of programming. Using the internal eeprom, you could write a sketch that would remember the last position, but you would need to use a servo or stepper motor.

If you give us a lot more details about your project, end results, current position, funds, etc., you will get a lot of - more specific - help.

i'm replacing the PCB (is broken) of my Hood navi display (see attach).the motor has a sensor on it with 3 wires wich i think is keeping the motor for spining on and on or over the max opening degree or so... so now i need arduino to do the motor control task wich stock pcb between many other tasks did.

http://www.filedropper.com/navishort - the attach

Uploaded the pdf (navi short.pdf) so others wouldn't have to go to the file sharing site.

Looks like the three wires for position are likely +V, GND and a signal wire. Without further testing it would be impossible to tell whether it's a potentiometer or pulses (Hall effect sensor / reed switch).

If you manually controlled the motor and checked the resistance across each pair of the three wires coming from the motor you could determine if it's a potentiometer. If the resistance doesn't change in some sensible manner across any of the wires as the motor moves then it's likely not a potentiometer.

With minimal experience with Arduino or other micro controllers it may be a bit of a stretch to determine if the motor has pulses for position feedback.

Spoke too soon, the file is too large to attach.

i know, i tried to attach

Why are you trying to upload a pdf? If it is a picture, use a picture format. Then we can see it in the browser.

(Typically,) Filedropper does not seem to work for me either. It says a PDF file with zero bytes!

someone who did this on his car said that sensor is a potentiometer ... found the info on a forum, but not too detailed info... :(

I would test the resistance across the pairs of wires (three feedback wires coming from the motor).

Once you confirm it's a potentiometer, then you can read the position of the motor:

int pos = analogRead(0);

Assuming it's a potentiometer, you don't need to remember the position the screen was in when the power goes off. You can just read the potentiometer to see where it currently is when the power comes on.

From there you have to get somewhat familiar with Arduino and programming before you're going to make much progress.

Paul__B:
Why are you trying to upload a pdf? If it is a picture, use a picture format. Then we can see it in the browser.

(Typically,) Filedropper does not seem to work for me either. It says a PDF file with zero bytes!

Here you go:

how can i read the sensor ?

You should first confirm it is a potentiometer by using a multimeter to measure resistance as the motor moves.

With the three wires there will be two that are reference, eg. 5V and GND. The other wire is the wiper.

By measuring the resistance between the wiper and one of the reference wires, it will vary as the motor moves. The resistance between the two reference wires will remain constant.

Assuming you’ve done this, and confirmed it is a potentiometer, check this guide on reading a potentiometer with an Arduino.

I want my arduino to lift/close and tilt the hood, like in this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fpSfHDZ9wM what code do i have to put in arduino? please help...

something like this i need https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrHN3o94frw

my setup

another photo