Newbie stepper advice

Hi, just a simple question ( I think). I need a stepper that will spin up to 1,000 rpm, and run up to 20,000 revolutions, and have it auto-stop at any number of revolutions I choose in that parameter. I do have an Arduino Uno if that helps at all. I really appreciate the help for any answers or solutions. THANX ! Jim

Search for steppers and read their data sheet until You find it. Any demand for torqe?
Buy a stepper driver board. Eventually look for higher voltage tolerance in case stepper speed needs it.

The stepper basics thread may be of interest.

jimwag: I need a stepper that will spin up to 1,000 rpm,

That is a very high speed for a stepper motor. Do you really need the step-precision.

Just like any other motor a stepper motor will need time to accelerate up to and down from high speed. It won't be able to stop instantly - just in case that's what's in your mind.

...R

A few details about what you are trying to achieve might help give you a better solution .

Coil winder. And thanx guys, sorry on delayed responses, have a TON of things I need to get done around here... lol

Robin2: That is a very high speed for a stepper motor. Do you really need the step-precision.

Just like any other motor a stepper motor will need time to accelerate up to and down from high speed. It won't be able to stop instantly - just in case that's what's in your mind.

...R

If I remember... The parameters, in the data sheets, are called "Roll in" resp. "Roll out". Acceleration is the key to achive the higher RPMs.

jimwag: Coil winder. And thanx guys, sorry on delayed responses, have a TON of things I need to get done around here... lol

A geared DC motor and a simple encoder giving one pulse per revolution?

Railroader: A geared DC motor and a simple encoder giving one pulse per revolution?

+1

...R

OK, this should help a lot. A pic of the setup, and a pic of the side of the driver.
1st, do I need to run a ground from the Arduino to the driver ? If so, where would I attach that on the driver ?
Here is the basic code I have for now, will it work ? It DOES work on a tiny stepper/driver I have that was in the Arduino kit.
When I try to load it on this new bigger setup, it says can’t find the device. Anyhow, here is the code, followed by the error message it gave me.
Again, thanx so much for even reading this. Very
much appreciated :wink:

#include <Stepper.h>
int stepsPerRevolution=2048;
int motSpeed=3;
int dt=500;
Stepper myStepper (stepsPerRevolution, 8,10,9,11);
void setup () {
// put your setupcode here, to run once:
Serial.begin (9600);
myStepper.setSpeed(motSpeed=3);
}

void loop() {
myStepper.step(stepsPerRevolution);
delay(dt);
myStepper.step(-stepsPerRevolution);
delay(dt);
// put your main code here, to run repeatedly:
}

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 8.1), Board: “Arduino Uno”

Sketch uses 3196 bytes (9%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.Global variables use 210 bytes (10%) of dynamic memory, leaving 1838 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.An error occurred while uploading the sketchavrdude: ser_open(): can’t open device “\.\COM4”: The system cannot find the file specified.

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

jimwag: OK, this should help a lot. A pic of the setup, and a pic of the side of the driver.

Please include your images in your Post. See this Simple Image Posting Guide

...R

There are 2 links there, don't they work ?

jimwag: There are 2 links there, don't they work ?

Links are not images.

...R

Just can't seem to get them to show.......

https://ibb.co/nkD7JYm

https://ibb.co/YjyKmLF

jimwag: Just can't seem to get them to show.......

I gave you a link to the instructions in Reply #10 - you need a link to a JPG or a PNG file

...R

Here’s 1…

And here’s the driver side…

ketchavrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM4": The system cannot find the file specified.

That indicates a communication problem between the Arduino and the PC. Did you choose the right serial port in the Tools, Ports menu?

Stepper myStepper (stepsPerRevolution, 8,10,9,11);

Your driver is a "step/dir" driver so the Stepper library will not work. Use the AccelStepper library when you need acceleration.

This page has testing code.

Your driver is set for 3.5 Amps to the motor coils. You must set the coil current to your motor's coil current specification.

Your driver is set to max multistepping. I would set it to 4 or 8 testing.

Thanx much for that, it will help me out.
Sorry if I don’t respond fast you guys, I have a daunting amount of outdoor work to do here this winter.
OK, when I look to the tools/port thing, it gave me 1 option…“5.”
So just to see, I chose the 5, hit upload, and got this ( keep in mind it’s all a foreign language to me at this point… lol)
:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Windows 8.1), Board: “Arduino Uno”

C:\Users\James\Documents\Arduino\number1\number1.ino: In function ‘void setup()’:

number1:6:24: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘conds’

pinMode (DIR, OUTPUT)conds(50);

^~~~~

C:\Users\James\Documents\Arduino\number1\number1.ino: At global scope:

number1:10:3: error: expected unqualified-id before ‘for’

for (int i=0; i<6400; i++) //Backward 5000 steps

^~~

number1:10:17: error: ‘i’ does not name a type

^

number1:10:25: error: ‘i’ does not name a type

^

C:\Users\James\Documents\Arduino\number1\number1.ino: In function ‘void loop()’:

number1:23:5: error: ‘delayMicroseR’ was not declared in this scope

delayMicroseR,HIGH);

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

C:\Users\James\Documents\Arduino\number1\number1.ino:23:5: note: suggested alternative: ‘delayMicroseconds’

delayMicroseR,HIGH);

^~~~~~~~~~~~~

delayMicroseconds

exit status 1

expected ‘;’ before ‘conds’

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

Here’s the motor…