Noob question about connections

Hi

I have been doing some connections between an Arduino and several other devices with the help of a motherboard and wires terminated in male or female pins. However these connections are not very strong and they can be easily disconnected accidentally. I expect soon I will be able to have finished the 'hardware design' and I am thinking several ways to make these connections more safe (using tape, glue, welding them...) but I would like to know if there is a recommeded procedure or any advise about this.

Thank you !

I’ve found an easy cheap method is to get a strip of male header pins. Cut to length of the Arduino connectors (some are 6 pin, some 8 pin) and solder wire to the short ends of the pins you are going to use. These connect very well and should be reliable if you can make good solder joints with the wire.

Lefty

when i get to the point where the item becomes a dedicated device i gather all the parts for like a breadboard arduino, and make it up on perfboard (or if your a really special project a pcb) so it is in fact a dedicated device

(this dude on ebay has been recommended before)

what retro suggested is not a bad idea, but it is very fiddly work if you have a lot of connections to make.

I suggest in this area to use wire wrap headers and a wirewapping tool + solder, it will save you a headache, but limits you to thin wire, current wise thats fine but other connections may prove to be a challenge

another solution is to solder directly onto the bottom of the arduino...

finally, and probally simplest of all Hot Glue whatever you have now into place!

Thank you very much for your answers !

Hello galtanegra,

Like retrolefty said that´s a nice method to get no shortcuts and can be used from arduino or on the protoboard also :)

What i do is this: http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9831/pinnaw.jpg that´s hot glue also on the pin header making it very reliable (sometimes you may get broking wires on that solder junction).

Salute

A while back NKC had a "clearance special" on these boards, and I bought several to turn into "Arduino plugs" for setups I use often. Apparently they sold well enough that NKC brought it back as a regular product (sort of a "re-re-purposing", I guess ;D). The price is a little higher now, but they're still cheaper than a prototyping shield.

Another good option for projects that don't use a shield is to use an RBBB, and plug it into a standard protoboard or piece of Veroboard with all the connections permanently soldered to it.

Ran