Wires don't stay in

I just got my Arduino Mega in the mail today. Very happy ... :smiley:

But I have one problem.

I've used quite a few prototyping boards and in all cases I just insert the wire 'till it stops, then push a little further and it locks into place.

With the Arduino, I just can not get the hookup wires (or even the LED leads) to "stick" in place. They pop out WAY too easily. Heck, all I have to do is turn the board upside-down and the wires pop out.

What's up?? Do I need different gauge wire or is there something wrong with the connectors on this board?

the only way i have found is to use special jumperwires, like the ones sold at sparkfun.com, although mine fall out every now and then

Thanks, I'll give those a try ......

use heavier guage wire.

If you're cheap buy 22 or so guage stranded wire and pretin the ends generously. They'll eventually wear out, though.

Another option: use the same wire and strip maybe 2/3" off and fold it backward so there is 1/3" and pretin it. This will make the ends thicker and stronger.

Those jumper wires are an option though.

These are just random ideas that might work.

Thanks. I did try taking the jumper wires I have and folding the leads back. Impossible to make a solid fold, so I ended up with loops. Those didn't even fit into the holes.

I'll try the jumper cables. I just want something that I can count on more than 60% of the time holding in. What I have is not going to work. Even the LEDs fall out too easily.

Welcome Tom;

Those Arduino connection headers are really designed to mate with .025" square posts. If you know how to solder then you can buy inexpensive male header strips and cut them into single connection pins. Your wire or component leads would solder to the short side and the long would fit into the Arduino female header socket. Here is one source for male header strips.

Lefty