Panel mounted connector recomendation

Hi

I am looking for a small size panel mount connector 5-6 pole connector.

A 2.5mm phono plug/scoket would be nice but they only come in 4 poles max as far as I know.

An aviation connector is just too big and bulky for my application.

Any suggestions?

"Mini DIN" |500x500

Paul__B: "Mini DIN" |500x500

Thanks Paul.

But even that, at 2.5cm across, is too bulky for my application :(

You really need to supply other information - such as :- What are your dimension limits Does it need to be any special shape Does "5-6" mean 5 or does it mean 6 Does it have to be detachable Does it have to be anchored (secure) when in place What is the voltage and current rating Why does it have to be so small and any one of a whole bunch of other pieces of information to help your helpers help you

jackrae:
You really need to supply other information - such as :-

What are your dimension limits

not bigger than about 1cm

Does it need to be any special shape
Not really but round shaped connectors are easier to install on panels :slight_smile:

Does “5-6” mean 5 or does it mean 6
6 preferable (future proof) but 5 is also ok.

Does it have to be detachable
Not sure what the you mean here. Obviously I need a panel mounted receptacle and a matching plug that will be installed at the end of a cable.

Does it have to be anchored (secure) when in place
Not in the sense of screw plug like an aviation connector has.

What is the voltage and current rating
5v, 200mA max

Why does it have to be so small

Because the actual space available in small. It is intended for installation on a din rail mounted box where other indicators/ controls are also present.

The venerable 'D' series are good and cheap - from 9 pins upwards. But an odd shape to cut in a panel.

As in the RS232 and VGA connectors on PC's. Pre-made leads are freely available and also cheap.

Amphenol, I seem to remember...

Allan

Ultra miniature multiway connection might possibly be achieved using the body of a microSD memory card and its mating socket mounted into your DIN rack enclosure.

Hi.

Mini USB is pretty obsolete these days, yet quite well available at the same time. It's small, and has 5 poles (so it is not future proof, but so is mini USB as well) and is supposed to be capable of handling 500 mA. It does have your odd shape so mounting it will be a bit of a problem.

Of course, you need to consider someone might be tempted to plug their very old phone charger or something similar in this connector of yours.

Of course, you need to consider someone might be tempted to plug their very old phone charger or something similar in this connector of yours.

Exactly my thoughts! Indeed USB (even the full size version) would be the perfect size and very discreet as well, however there is an increased risk of being mistaken for its usual application which is why I crossed out this option.

allanhurst: The venerable 'D' series are good and cheap - from 9 pins upwards. But an odd shape to cut in a panel.

As in the RS232 and VGA connectors on PC's. Pre-made leads are freely available and also cheap.

Amphenol, I seem to remember...

Allan

All pretty bulky unfortunately!

Watcher: Indeed USB (even the full size version) would be the perfect size and very discreet as well, however there is an increased risk of being mistaken for its usual application which is why I crossed out this option.

Mind you, it would be at least as big as what I suggested. :roll_eyes:

I posted a similar question 2 years back https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=392360.msg2701419, I have still yet to find a proper panel connector like so. 3.5mm audio connectors have a tendency to short if you are using it for power, it has to be specially wired on all ends. These days for signal/data/sensors, I will just hook an ESP8266 up to it, and transmit via wifi. For power transmission like addressable LEDs, I will just use connectors like these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Butt-Waterproofing-Joint-Terminal-5-Core-Male-Female-Plug-Fast-Wiring-LED-Lighting-Wire-Connector-20pair/32882115376.html, or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10Pairs-JST-SM-2Pin-3Pin-4Pin-DC-Quick-Connector-Wire-Power-Supply-Wiring-Male-and-Female/32846847044.html with cable glands. I really do wish there is a readily available round micro usb panel connector.

Perhaps the old ( pre-USB) keyboard and mouse connectors used on PC's?

Allan

That's called PS/2.

This type looks like they'd have the smallest size, but maybe a bit annoying to mount: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/20pcs-lot-MDC-S-Terminal-6-Pin-Mini-Din-Socket-PS-2-PS2-6P-Female-Plug/32369451496.html |500x500

Two thoughts: RJ45, firewire

Thank you all for your suggestions!