please help for Christmas

My brother mentioned he would like an arduino uno board for Christmas. Ive never heard of these till today. I have a budget of around 60$. What do I get him? I googled and found many boards, kits and options.. please help me.

Sparkfun sells genuine Arduino products:
UNO

jgspahn:
My brother mentioned he would like an arduino uno board for Christmas. Ive never heard of these till today. I have a budget of around 60$. What do I get him? I googled and found many boards, kits and options.. please help me.

Get him a kit, as these contain all the parts to do the basic projects.
Doing the basic projects will teach him some of what an Arduino can do and increase his interest.
As mentioned above, the Uno is the ideal board to start with.
Looks like you're in the UK, from your time zone.
In which case, do NOT buy it from Maplins (they're overpriced).
Look instead on-line for a UK based company that will deliver before xmas.
I hear Amazon.UK deliver the next day now.

In which case, do NOT buy it from Maplins (they’re overpriced).

If you are in the UK then while Maplin are expensive they do NOT charge P+P and can deliver the same day.

Other than that Yes one of the Kits is the best option.

Mark
Mark

I'm actually in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Arduino-Ultimate-Starter-Includes-Instruction/dp/B00BT0NDB8

Is this a good kit?

It looks acceptable, but the LCD version would open the door to a lot more fun stuff, and doesn't cost that much more.

I don't know how good of a judge of kits I am - I try to put myself in the mindset of someone who isn't familiar with electronics, but not sure how good I am at that.

If you were you would know it.
Either you are or you aren't.

http://www.amazon.com/Arduino-Ultimate-Starter-Includes-Instruction/dp/B00BT0NDB8
Cannot tell for sure but, looks like the board is a counterfeit.

Cannot tell for sure but, looks like the board is a counterfeit.

Board says "Made in Italy". Counterfeits usually say "Designed in Italy", so I don't think it's a counterfeit.
What makes you think it is?

I had remembered a discussion about this once but, as i said Cannot tell for sure.

Edit. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=144602.0

Still not sure.

The picture of just the Uno looks like it could be an Uno R3 that is genuine. The picture of the entire kit looks like it's showing an original Uno. They both at least look genuine from the pictures.

Here are tips that can help identify a non-genuine Arduino.

I'm sure I'll get some heat for saying this, but .....

That being said, just because a board is not a genuine Arduino doesn't necessarily mean it is garbage and will not work. Since the platform is open-source anyone can make a board based on the Arduino as long as none of the Arduino TM material is used.

I've used both (as in genuine and "based on Arduino") and besides the obviously different 501 K located next to the voltage regulator (Arduino gets theirs specially made in gold/ black where most others are green off the shelf), different logos, and color schemes the boards operate exactly the same and I've had no failures.

What you do want to stay away from is a board that is not a genuine Arduino yet still have all of the Arduino logos and such on them and are not being sold by an official distributor (normally for much lower cost than a genuine Arduino). This is what is considered counterfeit and should be avoided as it encourages the theft of the Arduion TM material.

{:0)

Brandon