Please help me out. (esp8266 arduino uno shield)

hi, i have an arduino r1 r2 and now i got an r3 because it fits the esp8266shield perfectly because it needed the extra pins, I am able to connect to the shields ssid and change stuff, anything on this page is basically what i can do : https://www.tindie.com/products/doit/esp8266-esp-13-wifi-web-sever-shield-for-arduino/ which is basically just connect through wifi by its ip and play around with the settings like workstation mode.

I am trying to follow this tutorial for it, so my code is basically all the code on this page:
http://allaboutee.com/2015/01/02/esp8266-arduino-led-control-from-webpage/

the project is about me wanting to use gui software to control hardware so i want to be able to click a button and than just turn on an led to start (main goal is to have a safety thermometer on the house ac compressor) blew 3 times so than it can eventually just cut the power if it gets to hot or if it over freezes and clogs the pipe again. and id eventually have it text me through php some periodic temperatures (im better at software than hardware)

so the main issue with this device is its not responding at all too commands, the arduinos rx and tx leds dont blink at all when pressing the buttons, I will donate if you manage to help me get it running thanks

I just went through the tutorial for you. Hopefully I can shed some light on your issue.

The sketch sets up the wifi module in AP mode. Not sure your level of experience so I'll explain. AP mode makes your esp chip into a wireless router basically. Firstly you have to connect to the network it creates in order for the buttons on the web page to send data to the wifi module. My chip creates a wifi network named ESP-A35990. Further, the ip address for the wifi module is 198.162.4.1. That is the address in the html file as well. Once you are connected to the network the wifi module should receive the get request from the html file. Of course I'm assuming you have your device and leds wired up correctly.

Issues:

It seems the webserver on the ESP chip is fairly weak. Clicking a button repeatedly, bombarding the server with requests, seems to cause it to hang. Basically a DOS attack. So be patient. Click slowly. Give the server some time to start up after powering on the chip. Also the broadcast range seems pretty limited.

I think a better approach would be to configure the wifi module as a client, connect it to your wifi network, configure your router with port forwarding rules and a static ip for the wifi module, and change the address in the html file.

Thanks for some info, I found this link finally after a week of searching: Quick Start | ESP8266-Based Serial WiFi Shield for Arduino----User Manual
Hopefully i can get something done with that, i should have purchased the arduino 101 wifi shield instead :confused:

fignewton83:
I think a better approach would be to configure the wifi module as a client, connect it to your wifi network, configure your router with port forwarding rules and a static ip for the wifi module, and change the address in the html file.

Are there directions on how to set up a static IP for the wifi module?

Did you buy a random ESP8266 shield from eBay?

Do you know if the ESP8266 module, not the shield, work the same?

I'm not sure if there is an AT command to set the wifi module with a static ip. Even if there is, its probably not the right way to go about it.

Use the mac address of your wifi module to create a static ip assignment in your router. Every router is different so look up the directions for your particular router.

I'm actually using an arduino leonardo with an xbee socket built into it and wifi bee ESP v1.0 plugged in. So I don't have to use softwareSerial and such. In theory all the ESP chips should work the same regardless if you got a clone or fake or whatever from ebay. However some versions of the ESP chip dont use the AT commands the same way, or at all. I used the AT command list here. It provides some info on chip version specifics and what works and doesnt work.

I just configured my ESP as I've suggested above. Here are some things to look out for if you are doing it as well:

The timeout values in the original sketch for the AT commands need to be adjusted. It takes a lot longer than 1000 ms to connect to your network. The router has to identify, handshake, assign an ip, etc... I use 10000 ms for mine to work.

To verify that you aren't crashing the chip by sending your AT commands too quickly, wrap the sendData() calls in the Setup() method with a Serial.println(); Then when you upload your sketch or reset your board, you can watch the status of these commands in the serial monitor. They will all need to return with OK for it to work properly. For some reason my network connection command doesn't give me any return value but it still works.

I did it wooo!!!, here is what i did: first off, i found out that any serial data written to the arduino automatically gets sent out through the tx/rx of the esp8266, since it has a system on a chip it handles most of the stuff for you i suppose. so i connected to it through putty, as a serial connection on 192.168.4.1 on port 9000 and i had the arduino spamming serial text data so it started outputting through the ssh terminal, i than made a flash app that makes a tcp socket connection too 192.168.4.1:9000 which i would send data and than if it recieves data it will emit pin 13, if it receives it again it will shut off pin 13 etc…

heres my arduino code:

byte byteRead;

void setup() {
// Turn the Serial Protocol ON
Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() {
if (Serial.available()) {
/* read the most recent byte */
byteRead = Serial.read();
Serial.write(byteRead);
if( !digitalRead(13)){
digitalWrite(13, HIGH);
}else if(digitalRead(13) ){
digitalWrite(13, LOW);

}
}
}

ended up being pretty basic:
and my flash code:

stop();
_root.socket = new XMLSocket();

_root.hostList = new Array(‘192.168.4.1’);
_root.hostIndex = 0;

_root.socket.onConnect = function(isOK){
if(isOK){
_root.gotoAndStop(2);
return;
}
_root.connectGame();
}

_root.socket.onData = function(msg){
if(msg.length < 1)return;

var pid = msg.split(’:’)[1];
var pos = msg.split(’:’)[0];
var obj = _root.attachMovie(‘Cursor’, ‘cur’+pid, int(pid)+100);
obj._x = int(pos.split(’~’)[0]);
obj._y = int(pos.split(’~’)[1]);
}

_root.connectGame = function(){
if(hostIndex >= hostList.length) _root.gotoAndStop(4);
_root.socket.connect(hostList[hostIndex], 9000);
_root.hostIndex++;
}

_root.connectGame();

// button to light switch the led:

on(release){
_root.socket.send(“do modulo switching”+‘r’+’\n’);
}

How do i mark this page resolved, or do i leave as is, to conclude, this chip gives a pretty good distance of range across my house and is accepting a pretty good amount of spam.