Pogo Pin Array on PCB

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the good forum for this, but let me explain:

I will build a PCB with at least 32 contact pads that I want to test efficiently. The spacing between the contact pads is still in discussion but will range somewhere between 0.3mm to 0.6mm.

I order to test this PCB I want to build another PCB with Pogo Pins at the correct spacing and size. The Pogo Pins will then be pushed against the PCB to be tested (on the contact pads).

Does anyone have experience with these pins? How do I mount them easily on the PCB? ....and is this spacing (0-3mm to 0.6mm) even possibel?

Thank you.

I use pogo pins at 0.1" pitch (2.54) mm w/o problems.

I've only used a small row of 6 with an FTDI board for programming USB-less Arduinos without having to solder in a header OR fiddle with wedging a row of 0.1 pins on in there.

I just press the pogo pins onto the Arduino through-holes.

For mounting on the PCB, I expect that the proper size plated through-hole would line them up, perhaps in a way so any stress during application is not borne by the soldering but by whatever is beneath the pogo-pin PCB.

Obvsly the mechanics must be arranged so the every pogo pin is sprung comfortably between 0 and fully pushed. The ones I have travel about 4mm.

HTH

a7

The smallest pogo pins McMaster-Carr sells can only handle 0.05" (1.27mm) spacing. To get down below 0.6mm you will need something smaller than that. McMaster-Carr

These folks make a probe 0.2mm in diameter which may work for you:
https://www.ccpcontactprobes.com/product/normal-probe-115-mm-ict-test-probe-02-mm-diameter

johnwasser:
The smallest pogo pins McMaster-Carr sells can only handle 0.05" (1.27mm) spacing. To get down below 0.6mm you will need something smaller than that. McMaster-Carr

These folks make a probe 0.2mm in diameter which may work for you:
P-020B ICT Test Probe - C.C.P. Contact Probes

*Thanks a lot! I will try to contact them! *

I find that 1.27mm to be a good standard for the "smallest" pogo pin type. is there any reason why you need such small spacing, that you Could'nt go slightly larger? 1mm tends to be the smallest i've seen in general use.

misumi might have something Contact Probes - Positioning Stages, Optical & Inspection Components | MISUMI

also if you like pogo pin systems, the tag-connect https://www.tag-connect.com/ is what i use on all my pcbs for debug and programming headers.

totyped:
Hi,
I am not sure if this is the good forum for this, but let me explain:

I will build a PCB with at least 32 contact pads that I want to test efficiently. The spacing between the contact pads is still in discussion but will range somewhere between 0.3mm to 0.6mm.

I order to test this PCB I want to build another PCB with Pogo Pins at the correct spacing and size. The Pogo Pins will then be pushed against the PCB to be tested (on the contact pads).

Does anyone have experience with these pins? How do I mount them easily on the PCB? ....and is this spacing (0-3mm to 0.6mm) even possibel?

Thank you.

What is your plan to keep the two boards in physical alignment so your pins will connect correctly and stay connected?
Paul

Thanks for your inputs. I am microfabricating a chip where the spacing between the pads is basically dictated by the fabrication tool that I use and cannot be too large (1.27nm is too large) since many connections have to fit into a tight space.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.