I am currently working on a project and making a small dehumidifer using peltier modules. I bought the modules from Sparkfun (Imax:7A, Umax:15.4, Qmax: 62.2W, Tmax: 69C, 1.7Ohm) and used 12V/6A power supply to power the module (just directly connected). Of course I attached a large heatsink on the hot-side using thermal paste and PC fan to remove the heat from the module. At the beginning it seemed like it was working fine, but after about 2 hours of operation, the power supply suddenly exploded!! :sob: Fortunatley the explosion occured inside the plastic casing, so there was no damage except on the power supply itself, but the power supply was super hot right after the explosion so I guess the overheating was the cause of this explosion.
Was I powering the peltier module in a wrong way? And is there any better way to power it without worring about overheating the power supply?? ::)
I would appreciate any suggestions.