Powering a robotic arm

So I’m a novice to robotics planning to build a robotic arm as my first real project. So far the current parts I want to order are 4 HS-422 motors,1 6V / 2800 MAH battery and a Arduino DUE.

My problems lie with trying to understand what kind of power supply I should use with my DUE. I’ve looked around and can’t find a 3.3V power supply. I know there are things called voltage regulators that might be helpful here, but I’d like to get confirmation first.

I’m also not sure if my battery pack has enough power to power my 4 servos. It would be nice if someone could explain how I can see how much power the motors are going to consume.

I’ve attached a picture of my wiring below because I’m not sure if I got it right or not.

Thanks in advance!

The Due has a builtin regulator so all you need is a ~6V - 11V AC-DC wall-wart charger. If you can’t find one that fit in the DUE’s barrel jack, then you can cut the connector off and plug the positive wire in the VIN pin and GND to GND. Maybe separate them to opposite sides of the board so they don’t accidentally short each other.

I've attached a picture of my wiring below because I'm not sure if I got it right or not.

You also need to connect the arduino ground to the battery ground.

HazardsMind:
The Due has a builtin regulator so all you need is a ~6V - 11V AC-DC wall-wart charger. If you can't find one that fit in the DUE's barrel jack, then you can cut the connector off and plug the positive wire in the VIN pin and GND to GND. Maybe separate them to opposite sides of the board so they don't accidentally short each other.

Well, that makes it really easy. Thanks

Greensprings:
radio shack has one, but my lipo charger actually fits my uno

the datasheet for the servo says 8mA static and 150 mA no load
it will draw even more if it is under a load

after that it is just a numbers game you have 2800 miliamphours in your bank to spend, you do the math

That was a lot simpler than I though it was. Thanks

zoomkat:
You also need to connect the arduino ground to the battery ground.

I've seen others do this, though I have no idea why. I'll search around for an answer. Thanks!

I've seen others do this, though I have no idea why. I'll search around for an answer.

Quick answer, the current that flows in the arduino control line needs a path back to the arduino ground to make a complete electrical circuit.

Hi, the reason for all the gnd to be connected are.
The servo signal is supplied by the DUE, the output is a pulsed voltage WITH RESPECT TO THE DUE GROUND.
The servo inputs the pulsed voltage from the DUO and reads it WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVO GND.
You have to have the GNDs connected to allow the pulsed voltage to be read by the servo correctly.

Tom...... :slight_smile: