pro micro

I made a project that includes 10 buttons that i wanna control with my pro micro, but i can’t seem to make a code that works. the wiring is as shown in the attachment. if anyone already has a working code for me or can hellp i would highly appreciate.

thanks , Dim

I have not used the pro micro before but let me have a go. Not the full code but some ideas I have used on different processor to read matrix keypads - quite similar to your switch wiring.

From you picture the pro micro uses the 32u4. That chip maps the ADC inputs to PORT F. A0 to A3 maps to bits 7 to 4 in PORT F. So initialise pins as follows:

void setup()  {
  pinMode(10, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(10, HIGH);

pinMode(14, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(14, HIGH);

pinMode(16, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(16, HIGH);

DDRF &= 0x0F;      // Set bits 4 to 7 (A3 to A0) as input. (bit = 0 -> input)
  PORTF |= 0xF0;     // Enable internal pull-up for input bits 4 to 7
}

If we now read the PINF buffer we will get 0xF? since all the bits are high.

Pressing a switch while pulling it’s red line (your picture) low will then read as a low for the relevant bit. To see which button was pressed use something like the following code:

digitalWrite(14, LOW);
  int nStatus = ~(PINF >> 4); // & 0x0F;      // Move Bits 4:7 to 3:0 (will normally be high)
                                              // invert to make them normally low
  digitalWrite(14, HIGH);
  if ( nStatus )  {                           // a button was pressed
    int nButton = 0;
    while ( (nStatus & (1 << nButton)) == 0 )
      nButton++;
    return nButton + 1;
  }

Use a loop to test all three red lines. You need to add code to give your button number for the loop iteration and nButton value.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Willem