Problem Uploading Larger Sketches [Solved]

I am having strange problems with my Arduino Yun. I can only upload small sketches (like the Blink example). If I upload anything much larger I get errors like this:

Global variables use 506 bytes (19%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2,054 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,560 bytes.
Found programmer: Id = "1111111"; type = 1
Software Version = 1.1; Hardware Version = 1.1
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
processing.app.debug.RunnerException
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:125)
at processing.app.Sketch.upload(Sketch.java:1719)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1625)
at processing.app.Sketch.exportApplet(Sketch.java:1597)
at processing.app.Editor$DefaultExportHandler.run(Editor.java:2397)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695)
Caused by: processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
at cc.arduino.packages.Uploader.executeUploadCommand(Uploader.java:111)
at cc.arduino.packages.uploaders.SerialUploader.uploadUsingPreferences(SerialUploader.java:123)
... 5 more

I am connected to the Yun from Mac OSX 10.9, Arduino 1.5.6 rc2 over USB. I have tried restarting the Yun (many times) and my Macbook. Nothing works.

Have you double checked you've selected Arduino Yun from the Boards menu?

Yes, I have the Board set as the Yun.

I think the problem is serial. I have discovered I can only get smaller sketches to upload using the /dev/cu* device, not the /dev/tty.usbmodem* device. Uploading over the network to the Yun also does not work (I am asked for a password, but the actual uploading hangs). I also cannot connect to the Serial Moniter over the network and locally (USB) it does not show me any output.

I fear I have somehow kill my Yun :frowning:

Edit: I have upgraded to Arduino 1.5.7 but it has not fixed anything.

Try with

1. select a serial port (/dev/something)
  2. select arduino yun from the boards menu
  3. upload yunserialterminal example
  4. open serial monitor
  5. press the YUN RST button near the leds

Does anything get printed?

The forum does not allow me to paste all the output. Here it is on GitHub:

Bizarrely it now seems to be working, at least with local USB. I feel like an idiot. I am very sure it was not working. i have spent a couple of hours today trying to figure it out.

My only problem now is try the Serial Monitor over the network.

All I get is:

Unable to connect: retrying (1)...
Unable to connect: retrying (2)...
Unable to connect: retrying (3)...
Unable to connect: retrying (4)...
Unable to connect: is the sketch using the bridge?

It defaults to 300 baud, I try changing it but it hangs.

When using wifi you need to use Console, not Serial. All the Bridge examples but the ones starting with "Console" need direct access via usb cable

I am trying with Console (using the sketch I have had running for weeks and working perfectly).

Now its hanging again trying to upload over USB. See this screenshot:

I am definitely using the Arduino Yun board. Its been like that for 5 minutes. The RX/TX lights are not going on as they should.

I know I am probably sounding incompetent, seeing as how it sometimes works. Here is a video showing you exactly what happens. I have both the Arduino IDE and the Yun in the same shot. You can see how when I click upload, after compiling, the RX LED flashes a few times and then nothing. It just hangs there for minutes.

Edit: I did not realize how large the video was. Here is a lower res version:

It looks like the 32u4 is missing its bootloader. Upload the Blink using wifi. Once done, retry uploading your sketch using usb

SUCESS!!!! Thank you so much! I cannot understand how I wiped the bootloader, but it is now working!

Thanks so much for your help.

Great! Can you change the topic to "solved" ?

Done