problem with adafruit_neopixel library

I am using thr adafruit_neopixel library with the strandtest program on a Nano. on compilation I get the following errors:
Adafruit_NeoPixel does not name a type
and a lot of :
‘strip’ was not declared in this scope.

The opening code is:
#include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>

#define PIN 6

// Parameter 1 = number of pixels in strip only five for test purposes.
// Parameter 2 = pin number (most are valid)
// Parameter 3 = pixel type flags, add together as needed: using neopixels
// NEO_KHZ800 800 KHz bitstream (most NeoPixel products w/WS2812 LEDs)
// NEO_KHZ400 400 KHz (classic ‘v1’ (not v2) FLORA pixels, WS2811 drivers)
// NEO_GRB Pixels are wired for GRB bitstream (most NeoPixel products)
// NEO_RGB Pixels are wired for RGB bitstream (v1 FLORA pixels, not v2)
Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(5, PIN, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800); this is the error line

I thought these would be defined in the library…

It looks like your library is just not installed. Check your libraries directory and verify you see the folder there:

alsmb:libraries allenh$ ls -l
total 24
drwxr-xr-x   8 allenh  staff   272 Mar 13 19:48 Adafruit_NeoPixel
drwxr-xr-x  11 allenh  staff   374 Feb 11 22:20 TVout
drwxr-xr-x  12 allenh  staff   408 Feb  9 00:26 TVoutfonts
drwxr-xr-x   4 allenh  staff   136 Feb  9 00:26 pollserial
-rw-r--r--   1 allenh  staff    83 Feb  9 00:25 readme.txt

Thanks for the response. You are correct the library was not installed correctly. I needed to create the subfolder, then put the library there and it functions properly. I appreciate the help.

Arduino: 1.6.4 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Uno"

simple.ino:1:31: fatal error: Adafruit_NeoPixel.h: No such file or directory compilation terminated. Error compiling.

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" enabled in File > Preferences.

I have this problem with NeoPixel.I installed the Adafruit_NeoPixel library.I don't know what else to do. I'v done everything that says on the adafruit destripction site. Please help.

The answer is the same, you have not installed the libiary correctly. You have not understood what that page was telling you.

Voja: I have this problem with NeoPixel.I installed the Adafruit_NeoPixel library.I don't know what else to do. I'v done everything that says on the adafruit destripction site. Please help.

Nope, you didn't what you tell. Your library is not installed.

There are two possibilities for library installation: "manual" or "automatic from ZIP"

For a manual library installation look up in the "File - Preferences" which is your setting for the "Sketchbook location". Within that folder there is a folder named "libraries". And within that "libraries" folder, you should have the folder that contains your library files.

For automatic installation from ZIP file use from menu: Sketch - Include Library - Add .ZIP library and chose the downloaded ZIP file on your harddisk that contains the library.

jurs: For automatic installation from ZIP file use from menu: Sketch - Include Library - Add .ZIP library and chose the downloaded ZIP file on your harddisk that contains the library.

You should perhaps explain to what version of the IDE that pertains.

For some reason, no-one is maintaining the Linux repos beyond version 1.

Paul__B: You should perhaps explain to what version of the IDE that pertains.

For some reason, no-one is maintaining the Linux repos beyond version 1.

I think 'automatic' installing a library from .zip file is supported since IDE version 1.0.5 and above, relase date May 2013 and later versions.

Thank you guys.I did it.