Project Question

Hi, I'm making a project which can detect plastic via sensor, camera or something else. Does anyone know if this kind of project is feasible in anyway. Thanks!

sioty:
Hi, I'm making a project which can detect plastic via sensor, camera or something else. Does anyone know if this kind of project is feasible in anyway. Thanks!

the key to your project is the sensor.
there is no simple sensor to detect plastics from seaweed if they are both pulled from the ocean.
there is no simple sensor to know of one type of plastic from another
your search needs to start with a sensor that to does the thing you seek.
If you do some research on how plastics recycling plants operate, that should help a lot. They have seemingly unlimited funds for equipment. If there is a sensor that they use, there may be a cheap version that works 'well enough' for your needs.

Search the forum. I recall this question being asked before and I don't think anyone here has been able to solve it. I like dave-in-nj's suggestion of investigating recycling plants, but even then, I suspect you'll find that the pricing would make your project non-viable for a hobby effort.

dave-in-nj:
the key to your project is the sensor.
there is no simple sensor to detect plastics from seaweed if they are both pulled from the ocean.
there is no simple sensor to know of one type of plastic from another
your search needs to start with a sensor that to does the thing you seek.
If you do some research on how plastics recycling plants operate, that should help a lot. They have seemingly unlimited funds for equipment. If there is a sensor that they use, there may be a cheap version that works 'well enough' for your needs.

Only on land not on water and doesn't need to know one type of plastic from another. I just need any sensor, camera or what than can detect any plastic on land. What I mean plastic is plastic in general, it can be food wrappers, plastic bag, etc.
Does anyone know any idea or suggestions?

An infrared spectrophotometer will do it. Prices start at about $3500 for a used model.
The plastic will need to be clean and free from labels, inks and dyes.

mikb55:
An infrared spectrophotometer will do it. Prices start at about $3500 for a used model.
The plastic will need to be clean and free from labels, inks and dyes.

I need a small and easy to move one (and a little cheaper).

sioty:
Does anyone know any idea or suggestions?

Maybe think about it from the other side. If you could detect the things that are not plastic then the other stuff would be plastic.

You have not told us what other materials might be mixed up with the plastic.

Metals are conductive. Iron and steel is magnetic.

But what is the difference between glass and plastic (for example)? Or between wood and plastic?

Many, but not all, plastics are less dense than water and would float. Glass, metals and stone would sink. Wood would float, but wood is not transparent and some plastics are (or at least translucent).

...R

Can a capacitive sensor do the work? if so, what is its range? Can I make the range higher/longer?

Hi,
This may help with your research;
http://www.eurekamagazine.co.uk/design-engineering-features/technology/sensors-identify-plastics-for-recycling/29331/

Tom.. :slight_smile:

sioty:
Hi, I’m making a project which can detect plastic via sensor, camera or something else. Does anyone know if this kind of project is feasible in anyway. Thanks!

Great project! I wonder if you have explored exactly how YOU detect plastic? I bet you use the shape of the object, not the material.

Paul