PS2 controller Arduino car project

Hello all, I'm new to this site and recently purchased Arduino 328 for a school project due in 6 weeks. I'm looking to use a ps2 controller to wirelessly control a small car/truck using servos or motors for movement and possibly have it also perform another task activated by a push of a button on the controller. What are my options, what is the best way to go about this?

What are my options, what is the best way to go about this?

Probably the easiest way would be to hack a wireless PS2 controller; basically, on the receiver end, mount it and an Arduino on the car (use an old R/C toy car), and hook the output of the receiver (that would normally plug into the PS2) to the Arduino to decode the signals/datastream - using this library perhaps:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/AnalogPSXLibrary

From there, the Arduino would then interpret those commands and translate them into control of the motors on the vehicle (you could either build the driver circuits, or you could try to reverse-engineer/hack the controller board on the car).

:slight_smile:

Excellent idea, thank you. :slight_smile: I'm a little confused on the car receiver end part. Since I'm not too familiar with the ps2 wireless controller receiver, I can't picture a way to have it hooked up directly to the Arduino. I'm assuming it's the receiver that plugs into the controller ports on the ps2 itself and sticks out a bit like a large thumb drive. Wonder if the pin outs are the same on the receiver as they are on the wired controller, if that's the case then I would connect it the same way to the Arduino as I would a wired one. TIA!

hey, take a look in my project:
www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1278605751

i think you are trying to do something like that, am i right?

^^ exactly, that looks good. I was thinking about the same concept with some kind of off terrain car that I can mount my Go Pro HD camera to.

Hahaha yes, i was thinking in that too. And I can say...in few days i'll post a video using a camera..hahahah just wait.