Question about HD44780 BASED 4X20 LCD DISPLAY WITH EL BACKLIGHT

Hello,
I recently purchased a HD44780 BASED 4X20 LCD DISPLAY WITH EL BACKLIGHT from Ebay and have a question about the Backlight hookups. After reading the write up by Keith Jackson he has pin 15 going to 5v and pin 16 going to ground. After looking at the pin assignment data sheet that came with the display It is calling for electroluminescent Backlight with the input voltage of 150VAC @ 150Hz - 1KHz. My experience is you do not hook up DC to an AC input. Do I leave these pins disconnected, or do I need a Backlight inverter? The backlight would be a nice feature so if anyone know where I can get an inverter I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Ron

I think you are talking about an 'electroluminescent' backlight in which case you will need an inverter. The EL backlit displays that I have use a standard 14-pin Hitachi interface for the LCD and the inverter is sized for, and connects to, two pads at the right end of the display. I have several of these inverters around here somewhere but I haven't seen them in years.

Don

Yes that is what I am talking about... I edited the post. So I guess my next question would be is can I leave the pins open and get the display to function while I look for a inverter? Or am I dead in the water until I find one?

Ron

Yes that is what I am talking about... I edited the post.

Which makes my response look idiotic. Thanks a lot.

So I guess my next question would be is can I leave the pins open and get the display to function while I look for a inverter? Or am I dead in the water until I find one?

The backlight circuitry is entirely separate from that of the LCD controller so there should not be any problems running the display without the backlight. Whether or not you can see anything depends on the display. Mine all work fine.

Don

Thanks Don, By the way the edit was not intentional... LOL... :D Just for the heck of it I hooked it up following the example on the arduino website it it worked fine. I figured it was an eight dollar part so if it fried it wasn't a big loss. After searching around on the net it seems the back light circuit is going to cost almost more than it is worth to make it work. This is defiantly something I will factor in on the next project.

One of the things I am considering is the 3.2" TFT LCD Shield with Touch Screen TF Reader for Arduino Mega 2560 R3 A132. After purchasing the SainSmart UNO R3 MEGA328P-AU + LCD 1602 Keypad Shield Starter Kit For Arduino I had an issue with the libraries not loading correctly, hence why I went with the other display. Just for the heck of it what displays are others using here that work well with little or no issues? I am using the Arduino Mega 2560 R3.

Thamk again, Ron

I have a 4 line X 20 LCD with !2C interface and LED backlight that I ablolutely love. I Paid under about $18 for it. Only 2 wires and those are shared with whatever else I hang on the I2C bus.

Charlie