Question about programming ATTINY via 9-pin port

Hi,
I have an arduino and also some ATTINY micros which I want to use instead of 'wasting' a 328.
I have read the blurb about using an Arduino UNO as ISP. In fact, I've successfully flashed the
bootloader to a new 328 and jolly pleased with myself I was, too. ( we all have to start somewhere )
Now, one can then upload a sketch to the TINY using the Arduino, but...
The next step for me would be to put the TINY in a breadboard device. I may subsequently want to
alter its sketch. Rather than unplug it and have to go back to the UNO, I wanted to re-program it in situ,
using the 9-pin port (plus MAX232).
You can do this with the 328 ( provided it has a bootloader ) by sending the sketch to RX and TX
( pins 2 and 3 on the 328 ). No need for the MOSI/MISO pins
All the tutorials I have seen on uploading sketches to the TINY set of chips do it without recourse to a bootloader
and via the MOSI/MISO route.
I dont see any sign of an RX and TX on the TINYs: do they just not have that capability?

Bruce

I dont see any sign of an RX and TX on the TINYs: do they just not have that capability?

No, they do not have a dedicated hardware UART.

The 2313 family has a single USART. But they also has very little SRAM and no analog-to-digital converter.

In general, ISP is a far better choice for reprogramming a target. Is there a specific reason you prefer reprogramming through a bootloader?