Quiet Motor ??

Hey All,

i'm still on the hunt for a low noise motor similar to the one in the image below. Could anyone elaborate on what makes these motors so quite rather than using a stepper per say? I already was successful getting the stepper to respond to my encoder movement but the noise is a huge issue. Is the motor below a servo? Whats inside of that secret black box ;) here is a link to where i found it as well http://www.abelcine.com/store/Heden-M26VE-Digital-Servo-Motor/

A low noise motor should be a three phase motor since one of the inherent properties of a three phase system is constant power. Brushless DC motors ARE three phase motors so they might be candidates. But they need a good driver as well that gives a low distortion output. The switching frequency should be out of the audible spectrum.

Brushed DC motors that are fully enclosed can be very quiet as well. Especially when driven under their rated power.

The next problem is transmission Cogwheel gears are noisy. Worm gears a little better. If you want to a belt i would recommend a multi rib type

The price of the thing in the picture might be part of the answer :)

...R

It will be a small BLDC servo motor driving anti-backlash geartrain I suspect. The gears will be smothered in silicone grease. Nothing about it will be cheap.

At the end of the day it all comes down to design and cost. Some motors are beautifully designed, almost silent in operation and cost an arm and a leg.

MarkT: It will be a small BLDC servo motor driving anti-backlash geartrain I suspect. The gears will be smothered in silicone grease. Nothing about it will be cheap.

That, and they are selling it to photographers - some of whom likely think nothing of spending $2k+ USD on a gear motor.

Honestly - even if that that thing had every bit of tech you mention, and more (nylon herringbone gears, etc) - it still shouldn't cost that much; it only costs that much because people (some with more money than sense, I suspect) are willing to pay that much. Although it is meant for a particular photographic purpose; maybe it does have to be super-ultra smooth and quiet for that purpose - I'm not a photographer, so I don't really know; I just suspect it to be over-priced (any photographers care to educate me on the subject?)...

That said - quality gear motors with extremely quiet drive characteristics won't be cheap; I would expect to spend in the hundreds for those - not the thousands (at least for something that isn't designed and marketed for a niche product purpose, like this lens motor).

I agree as well i didn't feel as if the motor should cost in the thousands! The reason for a silent motor is due to the highly sensitive microphone used wile filming. The need for ultra smooth movement is also needed so focus adjustments are incremental rather than large jumps.

thanks for the impute all XD