Ramps 1.4 and Smart Controller

Hello all,

This is my first post in the forum, if there is a similar post I make you my apologies.

this is my issue, I’m building a 3d printer and I’m using an Arduino Mega with a Ramps 1.4, I’ve uploaded the Marlin firmware in the Arduino Mega and have connected the Ramps shield, when I turn on the Power Supply, both the Arduino and the Ramps turns on but the screen remains Blue, I’ve attached a Photo to better explain the situation.
When I connect the board to the laptop the Slicing software (Cura) recognise that there is a 3d printer connected.
Can someone help me to see if this is caused by a faulty Ramps or by a Faulty Screen?

Image from Original Post so we don’t have to download it. See this Simple Image Guide

58dc240d25f4e7fc8cda84e0e46ef5d36247a6ad.jpg

…R

I have a RAMPS board that looks very like yours. I also have a 3D printer with its own board (and screen). To be honest it never occurred to me that you could connect a screen to the RAMPs board and I have never tried that.

The connectors for my screen have two rows of pins but my Ramps board only has a single row of pins. I can't tell from your photo what sort of plugs are on your screen cables.

...R

There is an adapter card that adapts the single row header on the ramps board to the 2 flat cables to the LCD. Are you sure that the cables are EXP1 to EXP1 and EXP2 to EXP2. On my adapter the labels are hard to see, kind of buried under the connector.

Have you tried adjusting the contrast pot (trimpot on the lower left of the LCD)?

In Configuration.h, this #define enables that display.

//
// RepRapDiscount FULL GRAPHIC Smart Controller
// RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller - RepRap
//
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

Robin2:
I have a RAMPS board that looks very like yours. I also have a 3D printer with its own board (and screen). To be honest it never occurred to me that you could connect a screen to the RAMPs board and I have never tried that.

The connectors for my screen have two rows of pins but my Ramps board only has a single row of pins. I can't tell from your photo what sort of plugs are on your screen cables.

...R

First of all, thanks for the reply and for posting the image, I couldn't figure it out how to post it.

BQ's Prusa i3 model has an Arduino Mega with a Ramps 1.4 and a LCD Screen to control it, to connect the screen to a Ramps you will need a Smart Adapter rrc.

RiccardoF88:
BQ's Prusa i3 model has an Arduino Mega with a Ramps 1.4 and a LCD Screen to control it, to connect the screen to a Ramps you will need a Smart Adapter rrc.

That reads as if you are giving advice to yourself (which is great).

...R

I know, it seems that I might know what I’m talking about, but I don’t XD.
Now, I’ve tried what what groundFungus told me:

In Configuration.h, this #define enables that display.

//
// RepRapDiscount FULL GRAPHIC Smart Controller
// http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapDiscount_Full_Graphic_Smart_Controller
//
#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

and nothing happens, the screen remains blue.

Does anyone has a working Marlin firmware set up?
If yes, could someone pass me the file?

I’m starting to think that I stept on a pair of shoes bigger than my size. :confused:

You still have not told us whether you have the screen connected properly - which was my original question.

...R

Robin2:
You still have not told us whether you have the screen connected properly - which was my original question.

...R

Sorry, yes, the screen is properly connected... also, it's working now, the cause of the issue was a missing "#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER" and after including this one and adding the U8glib library to the arduino IDE it all worked out, but now the issue is the dial Pot... is not working, but I think it might be also a coding error.
I'll see if I can manage how to solve it, otherwise I'll open a new topic.

sorry and thanks!!

RiccardoF88:
also, it's working now, the cause of the issue was a missing "#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER"

As pointed out in Reply #3 ?

[quote[but now the issue is the dial Pot... is not working, but I think it might be also a coding error.
I'll see if I can manage how to solve it, otherwise I'll open a new topic.
[/quote]
There is no need to open a new Topic. However, because you had this bit in the same sentence as your comment about getting the screen working I nearly did not see it.

If you have more questions you can continue them here where we have all the background info.

What do you mean by the "dial pot"? If you mean the rotatable device below the screen are you sure it is not a rotary encoder - that's what is on my 3D printer.

...R

Yes, the Rotary Encoder, sorry, for me it's always a potentiometer, but if it helps to better identify the component, yes, it's the Encoder.

My current set up for that is:

// ENCODER SETTINGS
//
// This option overrides the default number of encoder pulses needed to
// produce one step. Should be increased for high-resolution encoders.
//
#define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 1

//
// Use this option to override the number of step signals required to
// move between next/prev menu items.
//
#define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 5

I've also tried also to comment one at the time, but no solution, if it's broken I'll just buy a new component and swap it.

RiccardoF88:
Yes, the Rotary Encoder, sorry, for me it's always a potentiometer, but if it helps to better identify the component, yes, it's the Encoder.

They are very different things. Mixing them up would be like confusing a fork and a spoon.

...R

RiccardoF88 Did you ever get a working file?