Reading output to check if it is working.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could get a feedback from your output to check if it is working or not.

Check this image: http://learningaboutelectronics.com/images/Vibration-motor-circuit-schematic-with-arduino.png

Now, I am monitoring the output pin to see if it high or not but that does not tell me if the motor is working or not. Is there a way by which I can use a transistor, resistor or a simple wire to from the motor circuit and send it to the input pin on arduino to check if the motor is on or not?

How much current does the motor need? The 3.3V regulator can only supply 150mA.

You can read the collector of the transistor and see if it is going low (motor on) or not. Otherwise you need determine if the motor is spinning or not, can use a magnet and Hall sensor as one method, create a pulse as the magnet on the motor shaft passes the sensor.

Hey there, Yes, I am using the 3.3v output. I read the collector pin and yay, I can read if it is high or low. Works for me. Thanks a ton!. I just have to check if the same will work when the motors runs on PWM.

Hi,
I don’t think you answered the question fully?

How much current does the motor need? The 3.3V regulator can only supply 150mA

How much current does you motor draw?
What are its specifications?

It is usual not to power output devices such as motors and relays from the controller supply pins.

Tom… :slight_smile: