Good evening. I am a mechanical engineer who likes to dabble in electronic design, especially when it comes to upgrades and gadgets for classic cars. I was looking for an automated headlight circuit to turn the lights on/off based on the ambient light. During my research, I came across a former Painless Performance product (#63040) that not only filled my headlight needs, but it also provided several additional options that I would like to use. Unfortunately, the product has not been produced for over 5 years so there are none available.
- Dome Light Delay and Dimming- The delay feature will delay the dome light from turning off for 20 seconds after a door is closed (switch to ground) or until the ignition is turned to the “ON” position. Once the dome light is “commanded” to turn off, it will slowly dim over 5 seconds.
- Radio Delay- After the ignition is turned off, the Radio will remain powered for 15 minutes or until a door is opened.
- Headlight Delay- Headlight delay will keep the headlights turned on for 30 seconds after the vehicle’s ignition has been turned off. This will only operate if the headlights were on before the ignition was turned off.
- Headlight Chime- The Chime will sound if the headlight switch is left in the headlights “ON” or park lights “ON” position and a door is opened.
- Automatic Headlights - Using a light sensor, this feature will automatically turn your headlights On and Off according to the light conditions the sensor reads for 10 seconds. When the headlights are on, the sensor must see bright enough light levels for 5 minutes before the headlights are turned back off. The factory headlight switch will still be operational.
- Turn Signal Alert- The Chime will sound if the turn signal has been left on for 90 seconds.
- Door Lock/Unlock- When the car is an gear other than Park, the doors will lock. When in Park, they will unlock.
Based on my limited knowledge of coding and PICs, I feel Arduino would be the best route to pursue for these circuits. I am not yet knowledgeable enough to know which Arduino board to get for this project and am looking for recommendations. Also, any code or suggestions would also be appreciated. I am hoping to put the finished board in my '59 Impala build.
Thanks for your help and happy thanksgiving.