rectifier diode in smd package

hello, this could looks like as a strange question but i am looking for some small rectifier diode in smd package

the famous 1n4001 ecc cames in a smd package which i wouldn’t say small since it is 5mm x 2.5mm!
i would like to use something like the 0805 size we use for capacitors and resistors, which is 2.0 mm × 1.25 mm or for american people 0.08 in × 0.05 in

I doesn’t have any particular specification for the voltage or current

do you know some cheap and easily reperible (like aliexpress) rectifier diode?

I get mine from Digikey.com
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/diodes-rectifiers-single/280?k=diode&k=&pkeyword=diode&pv1989=0&pv1291=2588&FV=ffe00118&mnonly=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

thanks but these are all schottky diodes
ok i have to admit that i am not sure which is the difference but if i am not wrong a schottky act as a rectifier diode before a certain voltage then it allows current to pass
is it ok to use them as rectified diodes if i am under the breackdown voltage?

1N4007 and 1N5819 (schottky) come in SOD-223 package (ebay).
Leo..

How much current does it have to take? The lower limit on package size Is often set by heat dissipation (for diodes and stuff). Those can dissipate a watt at the top end of their spec. You’re not going to find a diode in a package too small to dissipate the heat it’s rated to dissipate - at least by that large a margin (manufacturers always measure it in favorable conditions) - so keep this in mind.

Schottky drops 0.3v, but is more expensive for otherwise comparable specs, or will have worse specs for the same price (particularly reverse leakage and shit like that). Silicon diodes drop 0.7

i would like a general purpose diode which i could use in many situations
usually i would say that with 0.2A i am ok, so increase it to 0.4A just to be sure and cover 99% of my pcb

I'd go with this one then
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/avx-corporation/SD0805S020S0R5/478-7799-1-ND/3749477
500mA forward current, 0.44V Vf. Good for up to 20V across it.

i should be quite tired since i didn't saw the answer of wawa, he was right the 1n4001 cames in sod323, i missed it on aliexpress....

what do you think about the 1n5819 by the way? https://www.diodes.com/assets/Datasheets/ds23001.pdf
it should have similar specification to the one you posted:
your: 500mA forward current, 0.44V Vf. Good for up to 20V across it.
1n5819:1.0A 0.60Vf, 28V(RMS)
but as dr azzy said then the heat dissipation cames to play

i will buy tomorrow one of these you suggested thank and karma to all you three

(btw digispark have crazy shipping price in europe)

i am not sure which is the difference but if i am not wrong a schottky act as a rectifier diode before a certain voltage then it allows current to pass

you’re wrong. To some extent, ALL semiconductor diodes behave that way (have a “reverse breakdown voltage” where they stop being diodes), but you’re probably thinking of Zener Diodes that tightly control that voltage and are used for regulators and such.
The main properties of Schottky diodes: lower Vf drop (which is why they’re well-liked), but on the bad side is higher leakage and lower reverse voltages (that 1n5819 is good for 20V, whereas the 1n400x series starts at 50V and goes to 1000V for a 1n4007)

westfw:
you’re wrong. To some extent, ALL semiconductor diodes behave that way (have a “reverse breakdown voltage” where they stop being diodes), but you’re probably thinking of Zener Diodes that tightly control that voltage and are used for regulators and such.
The main properties of Schottky diodes: lower Vf drop (which is why they’re well-liked), but on the bad side is higher leakage and lower reverse voltages (that 1n5819 is good for 20V, whereas the 1n400x series starts at 50V and goes to 1000V for a 1n4007)

Yep you are right i was thinking to zener diodes, now it s more clear thank you

Schottky diodes are usually better than pn-junction diodes for most applications, but they have a big
problem - they should never be used in high temperature high voltage circuits, as they have a reverse
leakage current that rises extremely rapidly with temperature at reverse bias, leading to thermal
runaway if that leakage causes self-heating - so stick to low voltage circuits for schottkys unless you are
prepared to figure out the thermal behaviour in detail.

Similarly for micro-power circuitry the leakage in schottkys may become an issue. The trusty
1N4148 is a good general purpose low leakage diode to have available, and its as fast as any
schottky (probably faster in fact).

Only schottky are available in 0805 package tho.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/diodes-rectifiers-single/280?k=diode&k=&pkeyword=diode&pv1989=0&pv16=6&FV=ffe00118&mnonly=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25
I think a 1A rated part could handle 400mA ok too.

1N4148 available in different packages - but only rated for 150 and 300mA.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/diodes-rectifiers-single/280?k=1n4148&k=&pkeyword=1n4148&pv69=3&FV=ffe00118%2C1f140000&mnonly=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

And have pretty high Vf.

CrossRoads:
1N4148 available in different packages - but only rated for 150 and 300mA.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/discrete-semiconductor-products/diodes-rectifiers-single/280?k=1n4148&k=&pkeyword=1n4148&pv69=3&FV=ffe00118%2C1f140000&mnonly=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

And have pretty high Vf.

Yep, i saw that, for this reason i choosed the 1n5819 and i took also the 1n4001. This way i should be ready for almost all circuits

Thank to MarkT for the theory it was good to read

Thank to everyone!

Remember that if you’re rectifying AC, the peak reverse voltage is something like 3x the transformer voltage (+1.4x Vrms on the output cap, and -1.4x on the input “bottom.”) So a 20V Schottky would be barely adequate for something designed for 5V. (OTOH, everyone does switching supplies now, so maybe that style of setup is not so common any more?)

aster94:
Yep, i saw that, for this reason i choosed the 1n5819 and i took also the 1n4001. This way i should be ready for almost all circuits

Thank to MarkT for the theory it was good to read

Thank to everyone!

I didn't mention the theory, I explained properties of the actual devices. The theory is something else
entirely!