Regarding "No Response from the Device" problem during OTA update for ESP8266

Hi all,

I am posting this because I could not reply on one of the old posts regarding "No response from the device" problem while using OTA updates for ESP8266 through the Arduino IDE

Let me explain the problem that I faced and how I found the solution for it

I was struggling with the OTA updates for my ESP8266. I use two machines for development, Windows and Ubuntu. On my Windows machine, the OTA updates worked just fine while I was having trouble doing the same on the Ubuntu machine.

Now, a few nice people in the forum did point out that the problem is the system Firewall. That is absolutely right. The problem is not with the ESP not responding but rather the Firewall blocking the response. On my Windows machine, I did not have the firewall settings blocking the TCP ports required by the script. On my ubuntu machine however, my 'ufw' settings had limited ports enabled.

Some people suggested disabling the firewall completely, which was not practical for me as I had some other critical services running and disabling the firewall was not an option

So the workaround was to directly use the '' script using the command as follows:

python3 -i <ESP_IP_address> -I <Host_IP_address> -p <ESP_port> -P <Host_port> [-a password] -f <sketch.bin>

This works fine if you have done 'sudo ufw allow <Host_port>/tcp'. So I used it for a day but then it gets a bit annoying if you are in the development phase and have to move out of the Arduino IDE environment every time to the command line and execute the above command

Next question. Why cant you do this using the Arduino IDE?

Because, you dont have an option to choose what host port on your machine to use for OTA update (May be an option can be provided in future updates)

So, I did some more digging into the tool and I felt there was an issue. If you dont assign the host port, the script assigns a random port between 10000 and 60000. Now, unless you allow the whole range of ports between 10000 and 60000 for TCP connections or have the firewall disabled, you cant be sure that the OTA updates can work every time. So the quick fix that I have done so far on my machine is to make a small change in the '' script and assign the default port parameter to a particular port and allow my firewall for that one port alone.

In case, anyone has a better solution or if I missed something really trivial, please feel free to reply to this thread.


Hi Antiger,

thanks for the detailed explanation. I reach the same conclusion after more than an hour spent with troubleshooting OTA. Allowing mDNS was easy cake but than I figured out that the ESP actually makes a callback to a randomly selected port. (which reminded me of the hated FTP protocol...)

Unfortunately this little thing is not explained in any howto I run into so far and is also not compatible with system firewalls or external firewalls. I'm planning to separate all my automation devices to a separate vlan which will be protected from the rest of the network and internet with a firewall. After this change there will be no such thing as random destination port number possible at all.

I can only confirm you that your solution is the only one I found myself.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.