Relay 2 not functioning - MKR IoT carrier

Hi All,
I am doing the first project in the opla kit which is the remote controlled lights.
While doing it, found out that the relay 2 LED L2 was not lighting up and no clicking sound. Looks like the relay 2 is not working.
Relay 1 seems to work fine and can be operated via the dashboard.
Is this a case of a faulty device or has someone ever faced this and found a workaround.
Awaiting your kind replies.

Please try uploading this sketch to test the relay:

byte relayPin = 13;
unsigned int duration = 1000;

void setup() {
  pinMode(relayPin, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(relayPin, HIGH);
  delay(duration);
  digitalWrite(relayPin, LOW);
  delay(duration);
}

After doing that, do you see the relay going on or off once a second?

I uploaded this and tested it.
It didnt work.
This is the MKR iot carrier and it has 2 inbuilt relays which are activated via the MKR iot carrier header file and the following commands.
carrier.Relay1.open();
carrier.Relay1.close();

Relay 1 works fine but Relay 2 doesnt work (same code above but replaced with Relay2)

Does the code which you have provided do the same function?

Yes. The code I provided does the same thing, but reduces the complexity down to the absolute minimum. That is always the best approach when troubleshooting.

Try the code I shared again, but with relayPin changed to 14 this time

byte relayPin = 14;

If you check the pinout diagram of the MKR IoT Carrier, you can see that Arduino pin 14 is connected to Relay 1 and Arduino pin 13 is connected to Relay 2. The full pinout diagram is downloadable from the "Documentation" tab of the MKR IoT Carrier product page:
https://store.arduino.cc/mkr-iot-carrier

relaypin =14 works, L1 led goes on and off.
not relaypin =13.
I noticed this just once, when I pressed the wifi board against the carrier, the L2 led goes on and off but not cyclically. After I reattached the wifi board, it didnt work.

The pins on the wifi board do not go down into the carrier board completely and gets blocked by the 2 cuboidal components (dont know what these are). Is this the issue?

analogydesign:
I noticed this just once, when I pressed the wifi board against the carrier, the L2 led goes on and off but not cyclically. After I reattached the wifi board, it didnt work.

OK, that's definitely a valuable observation.

One thing to check is to make sure the male pin on the bottom of the MKR WiFi 1010 board marked "13 -> RX" on the side of the female header is going into the female header on the MKR IoT Carrier. It's a little tricky to get them all lined up correctly when you're inserting the MKR WiFi 1010 into the board, so there's a chance it could miss the hole and end up going down the outside of the header instead.

If that is not the case, you should do a visual examination of the solder joints:

• On the bottom of the MKR WiFi 1010 board for pin 13.
  • On the female header on the MKR IoT Carrier board for the pin 13.
  • On the sides of the relays.

You might be able to spot either a bad solder joint that is not making an electrical connection or something causing a short circuit between multiple pins.

analogydesign:
The pins on the wifi board do not go down into the carrier board completely and gets blocked by the 2 cuboidal components (dont know what these are). Is this the issue?

Those are the relays. I don't think it should be a problem. The MKR board doesn't need to be 100% down into the headers. You can pull it quite a long way up out of the carrier before it loses electrical connection to the headers.

Hi Pert,
I just noticed that if I aligned all the pins parallel to the carrier, the relays work.
I guess this was the issue. Earlier, I had few pins which went all the way down and few pins not because of the block caused by the components, due to which it wasnt parallel.
Thanks for your time and have a great day!
Rgds,
Anil

You’re welcome. I’m glad to hear it’s working now. Enjoy!
Per

Hi Pert,
I am facing the same issue again. It stopped working as soon as I touched it. As mentioned earlier, if i press the wifi module against the carrier, it works occassionally.
I did a visual examination of the solder joints but all seem perfect.

OK, then I would recommend you to contact Arduino support via this form:
https://www.arduino.cc/en/contact-us

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.