Remote control and monitor by a robot and camera over internet?

Hi guys,
I want to build a program to remotely control and monitor by a 4wd mobile robot which has a network camera placed on it. My idea is like this:
I create a java client side on the remote computer(anywhere in the world), and the java server in a local computer, which has the same network as the arduino. The local computer is communicated with the arduino, in order to control the robot and camera, the camera gets the image and send back to server, then the server send to remote client.

So that even I am in China, I can control the robot which is in dublin.

I have a few questions about this.
1.I think in this situation, wifly shield may be more suitable to complish wireless control, can somebody recommend one wifi shield for me?

2.Can Arduino programming language communicate with java? How can I control it using java IDE?

Thank you~

Some links of a similar subject, with the bottom web cam showing basic web control.

http://www.lynxmotion.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6343

http://web.comporium.net/~shb/wc2000-PT-script.htm

zoomkat:
Some links of a similar subject, with the bottom web cam showing basic web control.

Thanks for the links. But I still feel confused about the implemation process.
To achieve my goal, I want to create the web interface(for the client to control and monitor), the web server .
Could you tell me how can the web interface control the robot? Is it to communicate with the web server or the Arduino server? How?

the camera gets the image and send back to server,

I hope you are not planning to do this with an arduino because it is not possible to do this at any great rate, maybe one frame per 30 seconds or so and you will need extra hardware to do that.

Could you tell me how can the web interface control the robot?

Normally you would have buttons to click on, these send a request to the web server which then responds by taking the appropriate action. If you look at any of the ethernet shield's sample code there is normally a button click to light an LED example.

There is a way to do this. It is a long and winding road.

1. You will need to be able to control the robot from the web interface on the computer

2. you will need a wireless camera that has a USB receiver

3. You will need to ensure that Windows Media Encoder (or the encoder of your choice) supports this USB receiver

4. You will need to set up WME (or your choice of encoder) for web output. I usually use port 79.

5. You will need to add the WME feed (usually an MMS protocaol) into the browser

6. You will need some sort of docking station, to charge the robot.

magnethead794:

1. You will need to be able to control the robot from the web interface on the computer

3. You will need to ensure that Windows Media Encoder (or the encoder of your choice) supports this USB receiver

4. You will need to set up WME (or your choice of encoder) for web output. I usually use port 79.

5. You will need to add the WME feed (usually an MMS protocaol) into the browser

You could bypass many of those steps just by using an 802.11g/n wifi camera with a built in web-server; slightly more expensive, sure - but much more "plug-n-play"...

cr0sh:

magnethead794:

You could bypass many of those steps just by using an 802.11g/n wifi camera with a built in web-server; slightly more expensive, sure - but much more "plug-n-play"...

Totally missed that option. That would be the optimal situation- then you could just import the image feed into the robotic control page.

Technically, in doing that, couldn't the OP run a webserver off the arduino itself, using the Wifi shield? OR does it not have that capability? Then it wouldn't require a computer to be left on.

Could you give me some links about this kind of cameras? I want to order a camera that can directly get videos by java. Thank you~~

cr0sh:

I have three of these that I am monitoring remotely over the Internet. There is a fairly active community involved with the use and hacking of this platform.
http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8905w-outdoor-wireless-ip-camera-23.html
They run an imbedded web server with an extensive cgi interface to the camera. If you can get away with an indoor model, it has pan and tilt control.

Can the foscam serve single jpg images when requested via an http link request?

Absolutely. You just say:

http://camera_url/snapshot.cgi[?user=&pwd=&next_url=]

has a description of the SDK from Foscam.

I am greatly interested in this project. Please, keep us updated.
If you need anything, could my HTML/CSS be of any use? I would love to learn Java or Python, but Python preferably. Just trying to make myself useful LOL.

Thank you for the link, now I have build the remote system with a distance sensor, (using socket for internet transport and xbee for wireless control), now I can remotely control my robot over internet and also get the distance number from my sensor, my only problem is to buy a network camera for monitoring, but I don't know if your link can fulfil my requirement, I think maybe I need a smaller one. Do you know something like that (which can be embedded on a servo motor on a robot)?

EmilyJane:
I have three of these that I am monitoring remotely over the Internet. There is a fairly active community involved with the use and hacking of this platform.
http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8905w-outdoor-wireless-ip-camera-23.html
They run an imbedded web server with an extensive cgi interface to the camera. If you can get away with an indoor model, it has pan and tilt control.