Replace atmega328 by atmega2560 on a Uno

Hello all,

I just wonder if replacing the atmega328 of an arduino UNO board by the microcontroller of an arduino
MEGA i.e. atmega2560 is possible? So the end product would be a UNO with more memory.

Would anybody have tried yet?

Which bootloader to burn on the atmega2560? The one of Uno or Mega?

Best regards,
Buenavista

Well, a quick look at a Mega and a Uno side by side should be enough to tell you the answer.

It might be possible if there were an ATmega2560 that is in the same physical package and pinout as a ATmega328, did you find one ?

Yes you could design a PCB that was the same size as a UNO but had an ATmega2560 on it.

Easier to buy a Mega.

Have you seen the Mega Pro board? Mega processor and number of pins in a smaller than Uno board.

Or a '1284P in a Uno sized board, with 16K SRAM, 128K flash, 4k EEPROM, and 32 IO with dual serial ports.

http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/

Easy to add the 1284P into the IDE also

Or this Mega board if you want access to All 86 IO that a 2560 chip offers.

Off board USB/Serial (will accept an FTDI Basic) and 5V power source needed.

srnet:
It might be possible if there were an ATmega2560 that is in the same physical package and pinout as a ATmega328, did you find one ?

Yes you could design a PCB that was the same size as a UNO but had an ATmega2560 on it.

Easier to buy a Mega.

Well I see that I was not precise enough, apologies for this.

My Uno has a removable atmega, my question stands on whether I can put a 2560p instead of 328p.
the 2560p is a ship like this one:

and my uno looks like this:

groundFungus:
Have you seen the Mega Pro board? Mega processor and number of pins in a smaller than Uno board.

very interesting!

Thats not an Atmel processor.

Do a Google serach on 'ISD2560P Datasheet' and read it.

srnet:
Thats not an Atmel processor.

Do a Google serach on 'ISD2560P Datasheet' and read it.

right.

So the answer is: The 2560 does not exist in DIP.

But it can be made as one:

Vs ISD2560P, a single chip voice record/playback device.

Buenavista:
So the answer is: The 2560 does not exist in DIP.

Not an answer you can directly come to from the link you gave.

However, if you want to see which packages a device is available in, then the device datasheet is usually a good place to look.

A Google search on 'ATMega2560 Datasheet' will point you to the datasheet for the device and it's quicker\easier to look it up there than waiting for a response in here. Look for sections in the datasheet like; pinouts, pin configurations, packages etc.

And of course if you want a DIP package Atmel processor that has more memory than the ATmega328, the ATmega1284P is a good option.