Resistive TFT & UNO WIFI Rev 2

I have a project that requires connectivity to a HTTPS site and displays information on a IDUINO 2.8" Resistive TFT screen (ILI9341 driver). I am using an UNO WIFI Rev 2 board for web connectivity. I am having compile issues when I select the UNO WIFI, if I select the UNO Rev 3 it seems fine.
Before I go any further with the compile issues, can anyone tell me if its possible to successfully connect a TFT sheild to an Arduino UNO WIFI board.

Please post a link to the actual display that you have bought. e.g. Ebay sale page.

An ITEAD part number would be the "next best". But we really need to see datasheet / schematic i.e. a web link.

David.

Hi David,
Thanks for your reply, below is the link to the display.

Regards,

Tony

Your TFT is a "Blue 2.8 inch Mcufriend" Uno shield. Just that it is painted white !!

I have never supported the Uno Wifi Rev2 board. It seems to have a pinout:

MCUFRIEND_kbv uses digital 2-9 and analog A0-A4 pins.
If the Wifi does not use those pins, I can post a MCUFRIEND_kbv driver for you.

David.

Ah thank you David, I will try to find out about the pins (I've tried before with no luck tho). I have an MCUFRIEND_kbv library but you said driver, is that something different that I need?

I support a lot of boards e,g. Uno, Leo, Mega, Zero, Due, …

The Nano-EVERY has a 4809 but with different pinout to your Wifi.
It is supported by the Beta on GitHub but not in the regular Release that you get from the IDE Library Manager.

The differences between EVERY and WiFi are fairly trivial.

1. leave IDE
  2. delete any existing MCUFRIEND_kbv folder
  3. goto GitHub
  4. select “test_Wifi_rev2” Branch (dropdown on Left)
  5. select Download ZIP (GREEN button on right)
  6. start IDE
  7. install from ZIP
  8. run examples

Please note that this is Untested. I am relying on the pinout that I posted earlier. (internet pinouts are not always correct)

David.

Thanks again, I will let know how I get on. :slight_smile:

OK...Here we go, Firstly I didnt find "test_Wifi_rev2" Branch (dropdown on Left), I assumed you wanted me to delete the current MCUFRIEND_kbv folder and download the new zip folder from GitHub (found one with your name). I installed that from within the IDE - still no joy with the WIFI Rev 2 board but ok with the UNO.

Some error messages are- (too many to type all of them)

Error while detecting libraries included by C:\Users\tonys\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv-master\MCUFRIEND_kbv.cpp

and

Error while detecting libraries included by C:\Users\tonys\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv-master\OPENSMART_kbv.cpp

All libraries are present and correct.

Another error is..

C:\Users\tonys\Documents\Arduino\libraries\MCUFRIEND_kbv-master\utility/mcufriend_shield.h:1069:2: error: #error MCU unsupported

#error MCU unsupported

I still haven't found info on the WIFI Rev 2 board pinouts regarding the WIFI usage.

I'm beginning to think this will have to go into the "too hard basket"

Go to GitHub - prenticedavid/MCUFRIEND_kbv: MCUFRIEND_kbv Library for Uno 2.4, 2.8, 3.5, 3.6, 3.95 inch mcufriend Shields
You will see the GREEN button on the right: [Clone or download]
Look at the same line but at the left: [Branch: master]

Click on the Branch button. Select test_Wifi_rev2 instead of master branch.

Download ZIP and install from ZIP.

David.

Hi David,

You are a legend!! For the first time in about 3 weeks I have pictures on my TFT which is plugged on to the UNO WIFI Rev 2. I used the TouchScreen_Calibr_native sketch which worked first time, I then tried the Button_Simple sketch which has compile errors but I will look into that later (I'm currently at work).

I'm not sure at this stage what you have changed in the library but thank you for your assistance....I now have hope for my project. :slight_smile:

David, thank you so much for your modified MCUFriend library. I used the branch you published with my Uno WiFI Rev2 and it worked perfectly.

From the git history it appears that your commit was a simple change to one header file. Any chance you can merge this branch into the main library now?

Thank you for your support!

The branch was merged on 1 June. So the current Beta should work out of the box for you.

I intend to release the current Beta shortly (as v2.9.9)
So you might just as well wait for the Library Manager to report an Update.

When this occurs, delete your existing directory (that was installed from ZIP)
Thin install via Library Manager.

David.