Retrieving data for ProMicro EEPROM, when connecting USB cable

Hi People,

I have this device, an Arduino Pro Micro with an external EEPROM working in a standalone environment.
I'd like to retrieve the stored data from the EEPROM when connecting the ProMicro to my Laptop, using the USBport.
It is possible to create some kind of button to initiate the ProMicro to spit the data to the computer, but how can I accomplish that the data is stored on the laptop, or that it is printed on the serial monitor or something?

Any directions on where I can find the right info?

kind Regards,
FTMZ

A program on your laptop can read the data on the laptop's disk and send it to the serial port that is associated with the USB port. Likely that means you will have to write a program for the PC to be able to do that.
Paul

OK, thanks for your reply, Paul.
But it is the other way around. The device, based on the Arduino Pro Micro, measures certain values which it stores on its (external) EEPROM.
I'd like to retrieve that data, in order to process it on the laptop.

For now I can overwrite the sketch of the Arduino with a "retrieve data" sketch, which sends the data to my serial monitor. I can copy that data and paste it into Exel for further use.
That is quite cumbersome.
If I can hook on the laptop and the data is sent to a txt file, that would circumvent the need to upload a whole other sketch.

FTMZ:
OK, thanks for your reply, Paul.
But it is the other way around. The device, based on the Arduino Pro Micro, measures certain values which it stores on its (external) EEPROM.
I'd like to retrieve that data, in order to process it on the laptop.

For now I can overwrite the sketch of the Arduino with a "retrieve data" sketch, which sends the data to my serial monitor. I can copy that data and paste it into Exel for further use.
That is quite cumbersome.
If I can hook on the laptop and the data is sent to a txt file, that would circumvent the need to upload a whole other sketch.

Then you need to give that capability to the first sketch.
Paul

If it was only that simple.
That is the whole issue.
How can I arrange a tool on my laptop, which can record the data that is spit by the Arduino's USB port.

Once the device is disconnected from the laptop and connected again a while later, the connection between the ProMicro and the serial monitor through the USB port cannot establish.
I mean... That connection can only be made in the startup, right?
So in order to get the connection back, I'll have to flash the sketch again.
Or is it possible to re-establish the connection without reloading the sketch?

So much depends on how you wrote the code for the Arduino. But the quickest way is to push the reset button on the Arduino.
Paul

It sounds like you are almost there. A simple routine to dump the EEPROM contents to the serial port as plain text, each byte separated by a comma should work. A terminal emulator that can capture data to a file (there's several that can do this) and you are ready to read the results in Excel.

OK... Things can go both ways now...
If I understand it correctly, Paul, resetting the ProMicro, while connected with my Laptop would re-establish the serial connection?
Sounds logical and to be honest, I never thought of that one.
For now, it is a sound solution. :slight_smile:
[EDIT] Unfortunately that did not work.
Resetting the ProMicro is not an issue, but it does not reinitialize the Serial monitor.
[/EDIT]

But for further development, using software that can pick up the serial data, and send it directly into an Excel file, would be more appreciatable. I've seen some software that does just that.
I do however still need a routine to fetch the data from the EEPROM to parse it to the Laptop, using the USB connection.
I'll look around on the internet. I surely am not the only one with those issues. :slight_smile:

Maybe you should read the first line of my reply in your other thread in the dutch section of the forum.

For what you want, forget a toy like serial monitor; Tera Term reconnects automatically (as long as you don't close it).

Thanks for the reply, Sterretje.
I've worked a little with TeraTerm, but eventually, I've had some success with Coolterm.
I also just mentioned that in the Dutch forum section you referred to.