RF 433 mhz module

Hi all, in a little project I have two boards communicating with this cheap radio module

Transmitter and receiver are powered with 5V from two arduino and I don't need to cover a long distance, 50 cm are enough for me. All is working fine, I would like to know if this module is legal in USA... this is a gift for my cousin and I won't have problems. I live in Italy and I don't know USA laws, forgive my ignorance.
However if it's important, the board with the transmitter will send data only when the user press a button, it doesn't send data continuously; data is very short, for example 4 chars like "1234".
Thank you in advance for a reply

Technically, it's not legal, because it's not type approved. But thousands of them arrive in the US every week from Hong Kong. You can order them freely on Ebay. So don't worry about it.

pelletta:
Hi all, in a little project I have two boards communicating with this cheap radio module

Transmitter and receiver are powered with 5V from two arduino and I don’t need to cover a long distance, 50 cm are enough for me. All is working fine, I would like to know if this module is legal in USA… this is a gift for my cousin and I won’t have problems. I live in Italy and I don’t know USA laws, forgive my ignorance.
However if it’s important, the board with the transmitter will send data only when the user press a button, it doesn’t send data continuously; data is very short, for example 4 chars like “1234”.
Thank you in advance for a reply

That frequenct is shared between amateur radio and government radar. there are certain areas of the country, particularly along the Canada-USA border where they may be a problem. The remainder of the country is ok. Many consumer devices communicate on or about that frequency. But beware if I point my 18 element 432 antenna in the direction of the receiver and transmit, the receiver may be toast.

Your cousin will be fine in most cases.

Paul

That frequency is used by the US Department of Deference first and then by Amateur Radio second. it is a licensed band. If they are close to a PAVE PAWS site (east / West coasts) I would not use it due to RFI from the radar.

900Mhz ISM band would be a good option.