RF 433MHz Transmitter/Receiver not working?

HI,

I am trying to test out my RF 433MHz transmitter/receivers with a simple test to see if it works between two arduinos, one is a NHduino UNO and the other is a Freetronics Eleven. I can not get anything on the receiver end and I don’t know why. When I check serial on the receiver I see the message ’ device is ready’ but that is all. No Rx lights flashing. I have pretty much copied and pasted the codes from two of the below links without sucess:

http://arduinobasics.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/433-mhz-rf-module-with-arduino-tutorial.html

I made sure I had used all the right pins according to the code and setup diagram on each link.

Im still new to Arduino so not sure if there is an issue with the RF transmitter/receivers or something wrong with the code, or some compatability issue with using two different brand arduino unos?. I assume the code is ready to go assuming the pins are correct?

Please help

I have also attached a photo of the setup.

Edit:

Have attached photo of testing as recommended in a few posts below and original photo of setup trying to get the transmitter and receiver working

Thanks

Have you tried moving the white jumper to the other Data pin?

codlink:
Have you tried moving the white jumper to the other Data pin?

Hi, yes I have. Do you think the code and my setup looks fine?

I can see the Tx light flashing on the transmitter arduino, but no Rx on the receiver board.

What else can I do? just want a simple test to check info is being transmitted

Hi,

You might have a problem with your Modules before proceeding with coding try this

Follow the link and let me know the results

Thank you!

Mail: mailtoaswinth@gail.com :slight_smile:

Aswinth:

I hope that is a typo in your mail address. If not, you're just asking for a filled spambox :slight_smile:

Aswinth:
Hi,

You might have a problem with your Modules before proceeding with coding try this

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-test-RF-transmitter-and-receiver-before-pro/

Follow the link and let me know the results

Thank you!

Hi,

I have tried what you have said but can not get the led to turn on. I have attached a photo of my setup but not sure if I have done something wrong, im still a noob to all of this. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Hi,
Have you got a current limit resistor on the LED?
What arduino pins are you using as data for the tx and rx, the instructible uses D12, your pictures show different.

Tom.... :slight_smile:

I have pretty much copied and pasted the codes from two of the below links without sucess:

Forget about the code in the second link, and use Virtual Wire (or RadioHead) as the library to use these modules.
VirtualWire is more simple and works well, so start with that. There are examples which come with the library.

As a first trial, don't use an led on the RX pin, but use either the Serial monitor to test for successful transmission/reception or the built in led on pin13. See the VW examples.

You should also use antennas with these modules. If there are right angle pins on the Antenna connections, then a piece of strait wire 17cm pushed onto a breadboard hole linked to the pin will work. Otherwise, you can solder the wire directly to the antenna hole on the board and have it pointing upwards.