RS232 data output from a USB only device

Hello!
I am looking at getting started on an Arduino project, and I just want to make sure I get the right hardware.
I have a USB barcode scanner that I have to use, this cannot change. I want write Arduino code to accept the strings of data from the barcode scanner (for example, see video)

Now, once I have that data in, I want to send it to another device that only accepts RS232 (simple 3 wire TX/RX/GND).
I have a lot of experience with serial devices, so I am not worried about the receiving device, I can format it however I want. Mainly, I see that Arduino is a possible good fit and I just need guidance with hardware choices.

I was looking at the ZERO, I see there are 2 usb ports there, although is one exclusively for programming?

I would imagine I could connect my USB barcode scanner to the other port and then write the code to interpret the data... but where do I output the RS232 data? Is there an additional card needed?

Also, this is the barcode scanner I need to use. I realize there is an RS232 model available, and I would love to explain why I can't use it, but trust me on that, not worth the explanation. Plus, this gives me a possible reason to jump in to Arduino.

https://atgsupportcentral.motorolasolutions.com/content/emb/docs/manuals/5880810a.pdf

Please let me know what you think! I would like to get a few parts on order ASAP. I don't need to "stay as cheap as possible", so any of the boards are okay... although I don't really want to go completely overkill either. Thanks!

I would imagine I could connect my USB barcode scanner to the other port and then write the code to interpret the data.

I imagine you could too, although this would require quite a bit of knowledge about the bar code scanner in order for you to write the USB drivers to talk to the device.

but where do I output the RS232 data?

The data would be sent via the Serial drivers to the serial port which on the Zero are pins :-

In addition, some pins have specialized functions:

Serial: 0 (RX) and 1 (TX). Used to receive (RX) and transmit (TX) TTL serial data. These pins are connected to the Serial1 class.

However you will need a 3V3 TTL to RS232 conversion board to make it communicate with an RS232 device.

Grumpy_Mike:
I imagine you could too, although this would require quite a bit of knowledge about the bar code scanner in order for you to write the USB drivers to talk to the device.

Agreed. I am under the assumption that it will detect it as a standard HID device and I can get data from the device as the manual suggests. Obviously I can't guarantee compatibility here, but does Arduino accept HID devices?

Grumpy_Mike:
The data would be sent via the Serial drivers to the serial port which on the Zero are pins :-
However you will need a 3V3 TTL to RS232 conversion board to make it communicate with an RS232 device.

Not a problem. I can handle that conversion. So, you're saying that onboard the Zero I have a general use USB port, as well as the pins to send 3.3v TTL if I understand correctly. That means all I need is the TTL to RS232 conversion board. Disregarding possible incompatibility with the barcode scanner, is there anything else I might need?

Also, can you suggest a 3.3v TTL to RS232 board?

My thoughts are, if this doesn't work with the scanner, I will at least have a Zero board to play with, finally an excuse to buy one!

Thanks so much, Grumpy Mike!

but does Arduino accept HID devices?

No not out of the box, it is a micro controller not a computer. If you want it to communicate as a host to a client HID device you will have to write the code or at the very least find someone who has done it and posted some code to do it. It is not a job for a beginner.

I will at least have a Zero board to play with

OK make sure you get one from the “right side of the divide” that is from Arduino .cc not .org

Ok, true, I am confusing myself regarding the micro controller vs computer. I am a primarily a motion programmer, so the same applies there. I may give it a whirl with some examples (like that youtube video I linked to). Once I get the data in, I’m not really worried about the rest of the setup. I think that is clearly the biggest obstacle.

Thanks again for your input, and I appreciate the .cc over the .org mention, I just looked that up and had no idea! I had already used the .cc shopping cart so I was luckily going to be correct had I purchased, but now you’ve enlightened me.

I appreciate your time.

I should add, the device in question emulates a standard USB HID keyboard (when a barcode is scanned, it sends out a string as if it was typed), so that's why I was assuming I could do this with example code I found out there.
Thanks again for your comments, sir.

The Zero has two USB slave ports (both can be used for programming) it does not have a USB host port and therefore you can't connect it to your scanner! without a host shield.

Mark

Ah, ok! Where do I find the host shield?

http://store-usa.arduino.cc/

This is where I purchased the Zero from, but I don’t see anything about a host shield. Any help is appreciated!

Is this the one I need?

Would there have been a better board than the Zero to get?

Or this one?

How do you know what to get (which are compatible with Zero) and which sources are best? Thanks.