Running an Uno with a 128x64 GLCD KS0108

I found a fairly cheap 128x64 graphics KS0108 LCD screen and I was wondering what it would take to use it. I want to have my Uno work as a data logger and I need it to be as fast as possible while showing some information on the LCD.

I have found the Arduino example and code but have some issues. I have read that a 128x64 GLCD KS0108 takes a lot of pins to run and also can use up most of the Uno processing ability. What would be the best solution? Should I run Pro Mini or "something cheaper" to run the display or is there a chip that could help carry the work load + outputs and send the data from my logger to the LCD screen?

Thanks in advance, Mark

A ks0108 will use 13 pins, sometimes more if you use the s/w reset pin or have a larger than 128x64 display. Pins are the real issue with a standard Arduino board as you don't have many left over for any type of sensor input.

A quick and easy solution for addition i/o pins (and memory too), if you don't need the arduino form factor for shields, is to switch to a Teensy board. http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/ I have several of them and like them a lot as they can be used with breadboards and download MUCH faster than the standard Arduino since the Teensy boards have real USB support built directly in the AVR chip. The latest glcd v3 library supports the Teensy boards (teensy and teensy++) out of the box.

As far as processing power goes, it depends on what you are doing. The ks0108 based glcds have a controller that drives the actual lcd panel on the glcd module. The Arduino merely updates the glcd module's on board memory. So once the memory is updated, the glcd will consume no arduino resources until the display needs to be changed. i.e. a static display will consume zero arduino CPU cycles.

The glcd library can update around 15 to 16 thousands individual pixels per second. Updates can actually be faster depending on where the pixels are relative to one another. So in terms of actual CPU cycles used or CPU time lost for updating the glcd, most operations are sub millisecond. Some operations are a bit expensive like a clear screen or rendering a large bitmap on an odd pixel boundary. For the most part, if you are updating small text fields, the operations will not tax the CPU much at all.

--- bill

Wow, your response is exactly what I needed and the link you gave me is great also! Thank you very much! Bigger display here I come!

Mark