Salvaged threadmill motor driver

Good day,
I can only understand some concepts, I can not devise schematics or do the calculations needed.
I have programmed Aruino before, that's not the problem I have.

Therefore I would appreciate some help.

I have a 190 V dc motor & controller board, salvaged from a treadmill.

I would like to regulate the motor speed by only using some parts on the motor controller board : The 220V AC gets converted to DC, it goes to an IGBT (GT60M303) and to the motor next.

On the same pcb there's a lot of other stuff that normally works together with the upper pcb of the treadmill where you enter speed etc.
Eventually some PWM signal would arrive at the IGBT gate to switch it to regulate the motor rpm.

I would like to get this PWM driver signal from the Arduino.

My questions to you experts are :

1. Would somebody be so kind to pull up the data sheet for the GT60M303 and check if the Arduino UNO , as is , can supply what is needed to the gate of the IGBT ?

2. If not, could somebody explain what electronic components would need to be fitted between the Arduino output pin and the IGBT gate and could you please draw up a little schematic for that ?

Here's a pic of the pcb (I don't find a schematic)
http://www.laufbandersatzteile.de/media/catalog/product/cache/4/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/a/s/astek_td_550.jpg

On the right hand side, from the bottom up, you see the AC to DC, the IGBT, a Rectifier Diode and the connections for the motor (M+, M-)

I've seen a youtube video of a guy doing the same, I also have Arduino code for what I want to do, I just don't know if I can drive this IGBT with the Arduino or if I need addtional components.

Thanks you all for reading and for any reply.

Grtz,
Nico

Maxxie2,

At these voltage levels and current levels you will probably find very few willing to give advice or schematics.

If you get to the point where you have done extensive research of the parts needed, how and they function and the risks involved, and design a schematic.. at that point you might get some more advice ( to keep you from electrocuting yourself).

I wish you luck, be safe .. Start small!

Hi Alka,

Thanks for you insights.

Applying a PWM signal from an Arduino to some component is "starting small" :slight_smile:

I just want help finding out if I can supply the PWM signal directly from the Arduino or if more stuff is needed between the Arduino out and IGBT gate because of voltage/current requirements of the GT060M303. That is all low voltage/low current.

Don't worry about what's hooked to the IGBT, that's my concern and I know what to look out for :-).

I already converted a lathe from its AC motor to a DC motor of a treadmill. I bought a motor driver for that project. Now I'm fiddling around with the (broken) control board of the treadmill and a spare DC motor.

The 230 V AC to DC on the board is ok. I can run the motor at full speed (the IGBT is broken) and I want to see if I can drive it with a new IGBT.

Grtz,
Nico

How does the mains get converted to DC? Is it isolated?

Hi Mart,

Mains goes into a BR356L. The output DC + of that goes into the IGBT (GT60M303) collector. The DC - goes to the motor and FEP30JP.
The motor + then comes from the IGBT emitter.

Grtz,
Nico

So its a lot more than 190V? And live, not isolated. Slightly odd to use high side switching with an
n-IGBT, but I presume the gate drive circuitry is floating (the whole lot floats anyway).

Try and identify the gate drive circuitry and see if there's an opto-isolate there, because that would be very handy.