School Project Ideas

School Project Ideas: So I am entering my final years in high school. One subject I've picked is Design technology, basically i have to design something. So its a pretty broad topic, luckily though i can choose what to design. Time frame is pretty big, a year or something but it also has to be achievable. Note: I have an arduino starter kit but i have very little knowledge on arduino, I have played around with it for a few hours but the coding part often stumps me. Budget is also pretty broad, if its a good project I don't mind buying parts etc. But as a guideline probably no more that $300.

So I have come to these forums to see what potential project ideas there are related to arduino. So far i have thought of only one: Its a "smart" smoke detector. So an arduino board hooked up to a carbon dioxide sensor, temperature sensor and possibly a camera. All the data from these sensors will be transmitted to a website for display. Please offer and improvement to this idea or even suggest your own. Remember I have very little experience with arduino and so if any part of my idea are to complicated or impossible just tell me, because in my eyes this project seems relatively simple. Thanks for taking the time to help :) Alex,

alexbunnyboy: School Project Ideas: So I am entering my final years in high school. One subject I've picked is Design technology, basically i have to design something. So its a pretty broad topic, luckily though i can choose what to design. Time frame is pretty big, a year or something but it also has to be achievable. Note: I have an arduino starter kit but i have very little knowledge on arduino, I have played around with it for a few hours but the coding part often stumps me. Budget is also pretty broad, if its a good project I don't mind buying parts etc. But as a guideline probably no more that $300.

So I have come to these forums to see what potential project ideas there are related to arduino. So far i have thought of only one: Its a "smart" smoke detector. So an arduino board hooked up to a carbon dioxide sensor, temperature sensor and possibly a camera. All the data from these sensors will be transmitted to a website for display. Please offer and improvement to this idea or even suggest your own. Remember I have very little experience with arduino and so if any part of my idea are to complicated or impossible just tell me, because in my eyes this project seems relatively simple. Thanks for taking the time to help :) Alex,

First, if you are stumped with the Arduino starter kit, don't start another project before you understand the starter kit and programming.

Second, stop using the word "so" to begin each thought. "so" is equivalent to "therefore" and you wouldn't start a paragraph with "therefore".

Third, pick one parameter to monitor at a time until you thoroughly understand what you are monitoring.

Finally, why would you want to monitor carbon dioxide? I am not aware of any electronic device to report carbon dioxide levels. Perhaps there are, or you intend to develop one.

I am sure you will be able to accomplish your goal with a bit more study.

Paul

alexbunnyboy: School Project Ideas: So I am entering my final years in high school. One subject I've picked is Design technology, basically i have to design something. So its a pretty broad topic, luckily though i can choose what to design. Time frame is pretty big, a year or something but it also has to be achievable. Note: I have an arduino starter kit but i have very little knowledge on arduino, I have played around with it for a few hours but the coding part often stumps me. Budget is also pretty broad, if its a good project I don't mind buying parts etc. But as a guideline probably no more that $300.

A robot that patrols your house and can use different sensors to tell you over a website what's going on and it also has a camera feed. Robots are fun and sensors are fun and patrolling the house is practical. Could be modular and open ended. Potentially patented and mass-produced. And called the goac-bot.

I'm very new to Arduino, but have developed two systems so far that are mostly centered around temperature control and timed events. As the owner of a small manufacturing company, I have endless ideas for small automation projects. I would suggest you find a local small business, most likely manufacturing, and ask if you can help them automate or monitor something that is problematic for them. With luck, you'll find a small company that tells you something like, we keep spilling epoxy on the floor and want a way to stop doing so (this is one of my future projects by the way). It won't take long to find a project that involves 1 or 2 sensors and something to turn on and off.

donek: I'm very new to Arduino, but have developed two systems so far that are mostly centered around temperature control and timed events. As the owner of a small manufacturing company, I have endless ideas for small automation projects. I would suggest you find a local small business, most likely manufacturing, and ask if you can help them automate or monitor something that is problematic for them. With luck, you'll find a small company that tells you something like, we keep spilling epoxy on the floor and want a way to stop doing so (this is one of my future projects by the way). It won't take long to find a project that involves 1 or 2 sensors and something to turn on and off.

This is probably the best idea of the day! I also own a small business, electronic assembly service. Sometimes its bigger and sometimes it's smaller!

The reason I got into the Ardiuno is to control the Peltier device in a portable food cooler/warmer so we can store solder paste in it and have it warmed to room temperature ready to use at 7:30 am, 5 days a week. Got it working using a UNO and now almost have the NANO and relay board ready to put into the enclosure.

I guess if someone came around to the plant and wanted a project, I would have given them this project. However, any project may develop into physically modification of something, like cutting plastic and forming aluminum, and power supplies, etc. But I would have helped them.

Paul

Paul_KD7HB: Finally, why would you want to monitor carbon dioxide? I am not aware of any electronic device to report carbon dioxide levels. Perhaps there are, or you intend to develop one.

MG811 sensor, just google arduino gas sensors. There are MANY sensors to measure all sorts of gases, even carbon monoxide and "flammable gases"

You could bind a few of these together to make a safety gas sensor alarm? can be pretty cheap...

Ps991: MG811 sensor, just google arduino gas sensors. There are MANY sensors to measure all sorts of gases, even carbon monoxide and "flammable gases"

You could bind a few of these together to make a safety gas sensor alarm? can be pretty cheap...

That was exactly what i was thinking! Can anybody think of any problems with my originial idea? How hard would it be to get the arduino board to send data to a web page? Thanks :)

Another one

//www.sparkfun.com/products/9403

alexbunnyboy:
That was exactly what i was thinking! Can anybody think of any problems with my originial idea? How hard would it be to get the arduino board to send data to a web page?

You could buy an ethernet shield for the UNO, if you know HTML you could get a little website going. Although you will have to go into your router settings and “port forward” the port you will be sending the data out of. Then you can use your : from anywhere and view gas levels :smiley: