Sending audio via serial over bluetooth

My project is as follows: Send realtime audio from my laptop to Arduino via an HC-05 bluetooth module (I.e. play spotify on my laptop and stream that info real-time to my HC05, which sends the data to the arduino). I then want to perform a frequency analysis, listen for specific sound patterns, etc. Then I will send commands to an LED strip (20A, 12V, 12 meters, WS2811 addressable) based on the data.

Where I am at: I've managed to send data to the HC05 via a Bluetooth Serial Terminal (available in windows store), and the Arduino will light up a single LED if the sent character is 'Z', and shut it off if any other character is sent. This works so far, so I can successfully communicate with the bluetooth module.

What I want to know: How do I send realtime audio as serial to the bluetooth module? (as soon as I can receive audio via bluetooth, I can start processing that audio on the Arduino and sending relevant commands to the light strips)

If anyone wants to see my connections, I'd be happy to share.

Thank you all!

Which Arduino are You using? What baud rate are You using for the BT? That will effect the frequency span of the audio.
To send real time audio You need to send data at a rather well defined time basis. Else the audio will get disturbed.

Railroader:
Which Arduino are You using? What baud rate are You using for the BT? That will effect the frequency span of the audio.
To send real time audio You need to send data at a rather well defined time basis. Else the audio will get disturbed.

Arduino Uno, baud is 9600 at the moment, but it can be changed on the BT transceiver up to around 34,000 (?), so I can change it if necessary. I can communicate via bluetooth serial transmitter, but I am unsure of how to transmit the raw audio output from my computer.

34000.... That allows for a theoretical upper frequency of som 6800 Hz, not exactly Hifi.
Transmitting from a Pc..... That's outside my territory.
Frequency analyzis in an UNO? Hardly for audio, Maybe a Raspberry Pi would manage.

Railroader:
34000.... That allows for a theoretical upper frequency of som 6800 Hz, not exactly Hifi.
Transmitting from a Pc..... That's outside my territory.
Frequency analyzis in an UNO? Hardly for audio, Maybe a Raspberry Pi would manage.

Apologies, the max baud is 1382400 for the HC05 module.
Unfortunately, I was working on a similar project on my RPi, but had to drop it when I moved to college. All I have is my Arduino here. Would it be possible to perform a task (like splitting the music into 6 frequency bands and using those to each control the intensity of, say, 10 LEDs), and then somehow transmit that data to the Arduino? I'm not planning on doing anything complicated, so if possible I'd like to contain my code/audio processing to the Arduino.

Pick up the theory for those operations and se what it looks like in code. Then check the execution time for those iterations.
I really doubt there's any chance to succeed.

nateolson:
Would it be possible to perform a task (like splitting the music into 6 frequency bands and using those to each control the intensity of, say, 10 LEDs), and then somehow transmit that data to the Arduino? I’m not planning on doing anything complicated, so if possible I’d like to contain my code/audio processing to the Arduino.

If you can split the Audio on your PC and then send (say) 10 numbers to the Arduino where each number represents the brightness of an LED then I suspect there is some hope of success.

But I doubt very much that you could send anything but very poor quality audio over a serial connection with an Arduino. Even using HardwareSerial on the Uno at 500,000 baud you would only have about 50,000 8-bit values per second. And I don’t think that throughput could be maintained continuously. You would probably need to send the data in 64 byte chunks and wait for a signal from the Arduino before sending the next chunk.

Much better to let the PC do the hard work and minimise what needs to be sent to the Arduino and what needs to be done by Arduino.

…R

Clearly an Arduino - at least a "baseline" version - is unlikely to handle this task.

Have you considered the purpose-designed MSGEQ7, available in various modules including a UNO shield?