sensors guidance

Hello,

I am a highschool student starting a school final project with a group of other three partners. in our project, we need a robot to follow a person wirelessly, although we are yet not successful finding the adequate sensors in order to make the robot follow that person.

during our searches we found a couple of sensors that may be usefull but we are still not sure how successful they will perform. the first one we thought to use is an IR sensor, range finder and a cam (such as CMU cam or BlackFin cam). another sensor is the Ultrasnic sensor.

I should also note that we need the best and smoothest way the robot may move with, we need it to avoid surrounding objects whilest following that person.

every reccomendation or suggestion will be appreciated and looked into :) thanks in advance.

hi! first ir-sensor sounds great and second i thought about the microsoft kinect, wich has everything you might need. ir-detection and cam. but i am not sure how to connect the ms-kinect with the arduino-robot?!? perhaps someone else any detailed ideas?

When you say "follow a person" what do you actually mean? For example that could mean just pick a random passer-by and follow her for a while, or follow a specific person of interest? Or what?

First, thank you both for your interest in helping us :) Now Jn-wp, we are not making an arduino robot (atleast if we couldnt find one), the reason for the first post is to ask which better sensor to use.

As for how should the robot work JimboZa, we need the robot to track a specific person and keep following that person wherever he/she goes. For that we need a decoder and an incoder. The person can hold or hang something on his clothes or whatever, the robot should notice that sign and follow it. That is why we thought of using a camera instead of a GPS.

Search the forum and Good-old-Google for "beacons" and "beaconing".... I have no experience of them but I think they are devices that let robots latch on to each other, so no reason why the human couldn't have one? I think they're IR.

JimboZA: Search the forum and Good-old-Google for "beacons" and "beaconing".... I have no experience of them but I think they are devices that let robots latch on to each other, so no reason why the human couldn't have one? I think they're IR.

Have searched beaconing, it is AWESOME in terms of following and locating and it can work for human-robot follow since the sensor is small. The problem is that some light may influence the pocating, like flurecent light !! Any suggestion??

yEAH, TURN THE LIGHTS OFF :P

nO, ACTUALLY i'M AFRAID i DON'T

EDIT: the above is a good example of typing while the site was all in caps. Sorry about that.