Serial.print() stops working when I turn on circuit

I am trying to use my arduino as an ammeter to measure current over time and output using Serial.print() by measuring voltage across a resistor and using ohms law. I have a simple circuit consisting of a battery pack, small electric motor, and 3 ohm resistor (technically a rheostat set to lowest setting), all connected in series. I also have the arduino measuring voltage across the resistor with the A2 and A3 pins. It works perfectly well, ticking once per second and outputting a voltage of 0 when the battery pack is disconnected from everything else, but as soon as I connect it, it outputs once to 3 times more and then just stops. I know the code is still looping because the light still flickers once per second, but the serial seems to be broken. If I disconnect the battery after that it still does not output, but when I close the serial output window and open it again it starts again. What really confuses me is that it seems to need to be connected for a certain amount of time to break as just connecting then disconnecting quickly has no effect but holding the connection for a few seconds breaks it. My code is below. Please help!

A picture of the circuit: currently disconnected at the negative terminal of the battery (ignore the multimeter probes)

const float resolution = 5.0/1023;
const int resistance = 3;
double current[5];
int i = 0;
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A2, INPUT);
  pinMode(A3, INPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH);
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW);
  int time1 = millis();
  double V1 = analogRead(A2);
  double V2 = analogRead(A3);
  double voltage = V2-V1;
  voltage *= resolution;
  current[i] = voltage/resistance;
  int time2 = millis();
  Serial.print("tick ");
  while (time2-time1 < 1000)
  {
    time2 = millis();
  }
  i++;
  if (i == 5)
  {
   i = 0;
   double currentAverage = (current[0] + current[1] + current[2] + current[3] + current[4]) / 5;
   Serial.print(currentAverage);
   Serial.print("\n");
  }
}

Circuit & connections please.

Analog voltages are read with reference to ground. I see no connection of battery minus to the Arduino ground. You can't measure from one analog channel to another.

Post a schematic of your wiring.

I connected one of the pins which I had in analog 3 to gnd instead and just took the analog 2 voltage without subtracting them and it works. Thank you for your help!

Dangerous circuit that could blow up your Arduino.

The 'rheostat' seems to be a pot (of unknown value), set to it's lowest resistance.
At that resistance it can't handle any current, and will burn sooner or later,
leaving full motor power supply across the two Arduino pins.
Good luck (you will need it).
Leo..

It is a potentiometer, yes, and its currently set to 3 ohms. Could you please elaborate what you mean here? I am new to electronics

A pot like that can only dissipate about 0.2watt across the whole track.
You are using a tiny fraction of the track, which is a fraction of that max dissipation.
A 0.5volt drop across a 3ohm resistor is already 0.33watt
Leo..