Hi
I want to make a Nixie Clock and i want to use this driver, but the ic didnt work. If i connect the Nixie tube or and common LED, it lights up only at pin 0 and 2, no matter what ABCD is.
Ive connected the ground from the nixie clock and the GND from the 5v for the IC together. There is also a small voltage of 0,3V on these pins(0, 2). Ive ordered 10 ICs and all behave the same. Do you think the ICs are broken.
If so what IC or vendor would you recommend?
Here is the data sheet i connected 0-9 to my Nixie Clock and ABCD to ground or 5V, but any time 0nly pin 0 and 2 works at the same time. And i want to use an Arduino, but i think this is te right forum, cause i posted it under General Electronics?
It's BCD (Binary Coded Decimal) 74141J BCD-to-DECIMAL DECODER
For those not familiar with binary , the reason it's represented as D C B A instead of A B C D is that the
MSB (Most Significant Bit) is the D. (SEE DATASHEET)
@OP,
Do you have a datasheet or part number or vendor link for the Nixie tubes ?
Can you post a photo of it ?
We still need a schematic of your circuit and vendor link for the NIXIE Tube.
Zundi:
. . .
If i connect the Nixie tube or and common LED, it lights up only at pin 0 and 2, no matter what ABCD is.
I`ve connected the ground from the nixie clock and the GND from the 5v for the IC together. There is also a small voltage of 0,3V on these pins(0, 2).
. . .
Your description is not easy to follow but a small voltage is not a bad sign. These chips sink, not source. If you are playing around with a led to test the chip, you must connect the led between Vcc and the pin under test (with of course a current limiting resistor say 330R).
Obviously, during such experiments, there must be no high voltage active.
I believe we have asked for a schematic (Reply#1) and
still don't have one.
Now that you mention it, the very fact that the
OP is even measuring voltage suggests he's
trying to source instead of sink. If he were
sinking he wouldn't be measuring voltage,
he would be putting a meter in series and trying
to measure current. I think you've nailed it.
My recollection is that this statement
"WARNING: Nixie tubes require a high voltage power supply, typically 150-180 volts. "
is in the correct range for a Nixie tube.
That would keep one from using TPIC6x595 (A,B,C,D or no middle-fix).
The 74141 data sheet only shows the K155xxx functionality, but not the K1555xxx voltage ratings.
Wawa:
Did anyone ever try driving nixies with TPIC6B595 shift registers.
They have 50 volt stand-off.
Leo..
I did consider it for my next design, but I'll be working with HV5812 chips instead. These are actually VFD drivers but the pins can sink enough for a nixie tube. This is an example of clock using such a chip: Nixie clock: Tearup - EDN
I'll need 3 because I am not multiplexing it. I'd have needed 8 of the TPIC6B595 shift registers.