Soldering a nano to a perfboard?

Hello, newbie question, but I'm not finding any 00s0olid answer out there. I am working on a nightlight with my daughter, and we are using a nano, a few LEDS, and a few resistors.

I got it all working on a breadboard and now I would like to solder it on a perboard and make it permanent to go inside the mason jar. Can i do this with the preassembled nanos that have headers already? or will the contact not work with the solder? I know I can't melt them but wasn't sure if the pins took the contact and I could cut them down.

Or... do I need to buy all the separate parts to put together my own Arduino nano like the link below?

Arduino on a Proto-Board - Make it permanent! - YouTube

Thanks a bunch!
Gregg

Hi,
Solder header sockets on the perfboard and plug the Nano into it.

Its not a clear picture but you can see the header socket under the Nano.
That way you do not have to solder to the Nano.

Tom... :grinning: :+1: :coffee: :australia:

1 Like

Thanks Tom!

I will use that for the next one. I started trying to solder the nano itself and pulling it out now is probably going to make things worse (new at all this :slight_smile: )

Two other questions.

Thanks again!

To answer your original question, it is perfectly fine to solder the Nano directly to the perfboard.

The headers are useful because it allows you to easily recover the Nano from the circuit board for reuse in case the circuit board is damaged or you decide you no longer need that project. And conversely, it allows you to easily replace the Nano in case it is damaged but the circuit board is still usable. But if both components remain intact and usable then there would never be a need to separate them and the headers would be unnecessary in that case.

I'll share the image here to make it easy for everyone to see:

This is a plated through hole style of perfboard (really more of a stripboard), so you can solder on both sides.

I would probably put the components on the side marked "TOP" in the image because you are more likely to want to make solder bridges on the side marked "BOTTOM", and that way the components won't interfere.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you so much for the images and information.!!

Gregg

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.