[SOLVED!]avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Hi guys good day. I ordered a Deek-Robot USBtinyisp V2.0 (img 1.jpg) and im having trouble with burn bootloader. At first when i plug the USBtiny it say driver not found so i install usbtinyisp_libusb-win32_1.2.1.0, and it successfully installed (img 2.jpg) . Now when i plug the USBtiny on the arduino uno and the choose Board > Arduino Uno and Programmer > USBtinyISP and Burn Bootloader it says

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

Can you help me with this? Thanks.

Hi guys i found a solution and i successfully uploaded the bootloader… What i did is, instead of plugging the USBtiny directly to Arduino Uno, i created a copy of it on the breadboard(1.jpg) and manually place the pins from USBtiny to atmega328p-pu pin layout. after that i follow this post (http://www.instructables.com/id/Bootload-an-ATmega328/step6/ATmega328-PU-workaround/)
\hardware\tools\avr\etc\avrdude.conf
Search for: “0x1e 0x95 0x0F” (this is the ATmega328P signature)
Replace it with: “0x1e 0x95 0x14” (this is the ATmega328 signature)
and burn bootloader… and it works. after that i test the blink sample script of Arduino IDE and it made this error (Expected signature for ATMEGA328P is 1E 95 0F)… i turn it back to 0x1e 0x95 0x0F again, upload the code and it work perfectly…
Hope this helps… :slight_smile:

Yes, best to create a copy of the 328P config in boards.txt so you can easily
switch back and forth. I get the same issue with the 168P/168.

The standard bootloader actually lies about the signature when talking to the
IDE, so when downloading sketches the signature has to match what is compiled
into the bootloader (the bootloader is shared for all chips of the same basic
type).

ICSP programming is in hardware so has to match the physical signature.