[SORTED] 74hc595 - random LED flash

I’m at a loss. I’ve spent the last 3 hours reading up as much as I can about it, tried various sketches, but I can’t seem to figure it out.

I have a random sketch running at the moment, but my need is to have the LED’s flash, not stay on until the next random number is sent to the shift register.

I’ve tried resetting the 595 via the reset pin, but it doesn’t seem to reset it though, or at least I don’t get what I am looking for with LEDS still staying HIGH and random for a long period.

It seems like such a simple idea, yet I can’t figure it out. I’m likely missing something silly.

I’ve started with a sketch (and circuit) via arduinolearning.com which works great giving me a random pattern of LEDs lighting up, but they stay on for delay(500), before a new random number is sent to the 595. I want the LED to flash, then delay before the next random number is sent to the 595. My next step is having the delay before random number also be random. The idea is to create from either 8 or 16 leds (will daisychain another 595), a flashing effect similar to crowds in a stadium with their camera flashes (we are busy building a scale paper set for a 60 sec intro video for a local university).

I have 8 LED’s in circuit with the 595.

int latchPin = 5;
int clockPin = 6;
int dataPin = 4;
long randNumber;

void setup() {
//set pins to output so you can control the shift register
pinMode(latchPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(clockPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(dataPin, OUTPUT);
randomSeed(analogRead(0));
}

void loop()
{

digitalWrite(latchPin, LOW);
// shift out the bits:
shiftOut(dataPin, clockPin, MSBFIRST, 1);
//take the latch pin high so the LEDs will light up:
digitalWrite(latchPin, HIGH);
// pause before next value:
delay(10);
// shift out the bits:
shiftOut(dataPin, clockPin, LSBFIRST, 1);
delay(500);

}

Jip...its was something silly. My word. Sometimes stepping back and doing a simple thing shows the solution.

I've added this bit to the sketch, which is merely randNumber replaced by the number "0":

// shift out the bits:
shiftOut(dataPin, clockPin, MSBFIRST, 0);
delay(1000);