Stargate Universe

Anyone here watching Stargate? I have seen both SG-1 and Atlantis, and now started on Universe, and I don't really like any of it.

The two first was great because they encountered new technology all the time and was able to use some of it, or learn something from it. In SG:U they are just... Stuck... Surrounded by technology they don't understand and so far haven't really been able to access.

Instead it is full of drama between the different crew members, and not really anything going on than the ship flying around, doing what it was intended to do. If I wanted to see drama, I wouldn't turn on Sci-Fi.

Of curse, showing drama with sci-fi added opes the doors to a wider viewer group, but there are already so much other drama around and Stargate was the series for the technology interested. I don't care if it is over natural, like McKay fixing a bunch of fiber optic connections in a thunderstorm in 30 minutes, by hand... But that is what I want and expect to see when i watch Sci-Fi, instead we get people yelling at each other in SG:U, and fighting each other more than everything around them. The creators say they kept the stargate spirit in, but I am puzzled about where they actually put it.

What about you? Have you seen it, and do you like it? I am not sure if I am going to follow the second season of it.

You forgot the most important part....

It is poorly acted.

I don't buy the relations and such, it just looks forced in a lot of scenes. Doesn't help that it doesn't fit with the other two series either (imo).
Have only watched 3 or so episodes, plenty if you ask me..

Now firefly (with the accompanying movie serenity), theres sci-fi drama for you =P

One of the best things I ever did in my life was to drop my cable television.

That isn't to say I don't watch a bit now and then - I do. The show I am currently "hooked" on is Burn Notice. I need to get the DVD sets to make up for earlier seasons.

Beyond that, I have some favorite oldies of mine on Hulu - Rockford Files and Kojak being two of 'em!

+1 for Firefly from me. River Tam takes some beating as a character (quite literally as well).

Andrew

Not watched it yet, it's sat waiting for me to watch. I'd heard it was crap so haven't rushed in to it.

I'm currently watching Babylon 5. I'm half way through series four, and it's awesome. It's on a par to Farscape for scifi brilliance.

I tend to watch a programme in its entirity if I can, or at least a series at a time. I recently watched lost (also awesome. I know a lot of people say it doesn't make sense and it's a waste of time but I really likeed it. I found the characters very compelling), and next on my list are flashforward, battlestar galactica (the modern one, not the original) and the last two series of spooks.

After that I might get round to stargate.

In case it wasn't clear earlier: FARSCAPE. Download it all and watch it. Brilliant scifi.

But...

TV and movie scifi pale into insignificance compared to books.

Turn your telly off and read an Ian M Banks novel. They're all good, most have a stunning ending and Use of Weapons is utterly brilliant.

Books can reach a depth far beyond anything you can show on-screen.

Books are not my thing. Tried them, but never really finished anything. So tv, Yes please :wink:

Books are not my thing.

But the special effects, graphics and sets are much better in books. :wink:

You're missing out. Try audiobooks instead, have a look for ian m banks on bittorrent.

The book version of 2001: a space oddysey is far, far better than the film. It actually makes sense, then when you watch the movie again the movie makes sense!

But, back to TV, if you haven't watched babylon 5 or farscape you should.

I have plenty of that in my head, I watch tv to let my imagination chill :wink: can't stop thinking and always got something cooking, tv or movies in general help me switch off :slight_smile:

I like SG-U. It is different from SG1 and Atlantis. I thinkg they were going with a BSG feel.

The last episode is one of the best.
When they found the prototype Ancient control/database chair.

It was terrific.

Personally, I like it. I just not obssed like I was with the other two.
If I was syfy, i would have just used the funding to bring back one of the other two. I mean it kinda makes it obvious that they used the funding from alantis.