starting with SMD parts

They are like mixing the salt and pepper shakers then trying to sort the grains. :)

Rob

These are great: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electronic-Component-Box-Storage-Box-SMD-Tool-Pink-Green-Blue-White-50PCS-NEW-/271105226001?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item3f1f217511

Can clip together a set for one project, individual lids prevents dropping one part into another compartment, reasonably cheap, anti-static, various colours...

they look the same as the ones I was thinking of, so you say they are OK?

Rob

Have you physically held one of those boxes. Do they seal between compartments? I ask because often boxes with a single lid to not seal the individual compartments well enough to stop the 0402 resistors all mingling when you drop the box smiley

I have 2 of these. I use them with 1206s. I cannot use 0402s... Because I cannot see them.

Graynomad:
they look the same as the ones I was thinking of, so you say they are OK?

Rob

Yes, although the lids are a little fiddly they seal fairly well so dropping a box
isn’t too disastrous - though I don’t use 0402!!

Its a shame they dont come with matching lid labels, you have to make your own.

I bought a couple of trays of little screw jars for the SMD parts. That works well, can drop the try and the individual containers are not impacted. Got them at a craft shop.