Stepper motor for valve need some help please

First off id like to say that I am new to this forum. I am an avid homebrewer and have a 90 percent automated brewery. Didnt right the code, used a box program to automate. I have manged to get rid of all my threaded connections on my whole brewery except for my valves. What I was hoping to do is control a stepper motor with an arduino. at the moment I send a 12v signal from my controller to open my valve(s), and when the signal stops the valve(s) close. Each valve is on its own output.

Can this be implemented with an arduino per valve?

One Arduino should be able to control several valves.

I don't understand how your existing valves work - are they just open/shut depending on whether there is 12v applied, or not?

You could probably easily arrange for an Arduino to control those valves.

...R

At the moment I have a computer called a "brewtroller" that controls multiple things. 10 of these things are valve outputs. When the program sends a 12v signal to a valve that is normally closed it will open. When the signal is off the valve automatically closes. These are the valves I have:

Using the CR303 Wiring schematic

Sorry, I’m confused now.

Have you some reason for replacing the valves? And want to find out if some other sort of valve can be controlled with a stepper motor?

Or do you just want to change the control system and would be happy to use the existing valves with a new control system?

…R

Robin2:
Sorry, I'm confused now.

Have you some reason for replacing the valves? And want to find out if some other sort of valve can be controlled with a stepper motor?

Or do you just want to change the control system and would be happy to use the existing valves with a new control system?

...R

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. But thank you for your help so far.

I have 10 these valves at the moment

And would like to use this style of valves for brewery sanitation purposes, the only problem is these valves usually cost 300 per and dont fit my power restrictions. It would be nice if I could mount a stepper motor to these (I have the tools to make that part happen)

If you can fit suitable stepper motors to those valves and have suitable stepper motor drivers to interface the motors to it an Arduino could easily control them.

However my guess is that stepper motors need a lot more power than the existing valves.

Can you put numbers on the existing problem and the situation you would like to change to?

You must also realize that the Arduino cannot know where the stepper motor is so you will almost certainly need to add limit switches. At that stage you may find that a simple DC motor would be just as effective.

A little more research, perhaps, before you spend any money ?

...R

Robin2:
If you can fit suitable stepper motors to those valves and have suitable stepper motor drivers to interface the motors to it an Arduino could easily control them.

However my guess is that stepper motors need a lot more power than the existing valves.

Can you put numbers on the existing problem and the situation you would like to change to?

You must also realize that the Arduino cannot know where the stepper motor is so you will almost certainly need to add limit switches. At that stage you may find that a simple DC motor would be just as effective.

A little more research, perhaps, before you spend any money ?

...R

Im assuming they would need at least 3nm to get these valves to turn. But I think it is doable. I have been searching for a DC motor that would work, but the cost and torque to power ration of the stepper is much better.

I have been doing a lot of research, sadly its the wiring and code that has me stumped.

kickflipmj:
Im assuming they would need at least 3nm to get these valves to turn. But I think it is doable. I have been searching for a DC motor that would work, but the cost and torque to power ration of the stepper is much better.

I have been doing a lot of research, sadly its the wiring and code that has me stumped.

Will the valve stay in position without power applied to the motor?

If you have a limit switch at each end of the valve's travel then the code simply moves the motor 1 step, checks the switch and moves another step if the switch is not pressed.

Maybe it would make sense to buy a stepper motor and driver and an Uno and do some experimenting/learning before committing to the project.

...R

The valve will

Robin2:
Will the valve stay in position without power applied to the motor?

If you have a limit switch at each end of the valve's travel then the code simply moves the motor 1 step, checks the switch and moves another step if the switch is not pressed.

Maybe it would make sense to buy a stepper motor and driver and an Uno and do some experimenting/learning before committing to the project.

...R

The valve should stay open, its not spring loaded by any means.

You have a valid point about purchasing some parts first before going forward with this project. What would I need?

1 uno

2 limit switches?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-Micro-Limit-Sensor-Switch-Normal-Open-Close-5A-250V-package-of-10-pcs-/111500748242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f5f665d2

1 nema 23 with gear set to bring torque up

1 easydriver

Slow down a little ...
I can't see any indication of the torque of that motor
Neither can I see how much current it draws

The Easydriver can only supply 750mA - you must find out what current your motor requires and then choose a driver that can handle it. A stepper motor draws full current even when stationary.

How much torque does the valve need?
Is there any need for a reduction gear?

...R

Robin2:
Slow down a little ...
I can't see any indication of the torque of that motor
Neither can I see how much current it draws

The Easydriver can only supply 750mA - you must find out what current your motor requires and then choose a driver that can handle it. A stepper motor draws full current even when stationary.

How much torque does the valve need?
Is there any need for a reduction gear?

...R

Ill try to slow down.lol

Very valid point on checking compatibility of products and size of motor.

According to this the breaking pressure is high (around 8nm), it doesn't seem to accurate though. Im assuming we are talking about under full load?

What about this motor? will it turn 45 when the power is applied and reverse automatically?

kickflipmj:
What about this motor? will it turn 45 when the power is applied and reverse automatically?

It’s a windscreen wiper motor - think how windscreen wipers work - you don’t want your valves to do that. It isn’t designed to stay at the 45deg position - as far as I know. It is one of the many things that could be made to work with a lot of effort.

…R

I have been working WAY to hard at this. Its been an ongoing project and I really appreciate all your help.