String potentiometer

Hello,
I'm trying to track trombone slide position using an ultrasonic sensor(http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,99622.0.html) but I've had unsatisfactory results to date (latency and reliability).

Going back to the drawing board, I think an interesting option would be to use a string potentiometer. However, I would need to find one that covers the entire slide length (~62 cm), that wouldn't interfere with trombone playing (low resistance) and that plays nice with the arduino.

I've found this: http://www.unimeasure.com/obj--pdf/lx-pa.pdf

Unfortunately, I haven't found a seller for it anywhere and I'm not sure if it meets the second and third criteria...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sylvain

are you sure you have sensor in good angle because wrong angle use to be a problem.

The problem I see with the string potentiometer is the return spring. You have to work against it and I think it will limit return speed.

How about a length of resistance wire mounted on the body and a wiper attached to the slide? Same effect but no spring to work against.

johnwasser:
How about a length of resistance wire mounted on the body and a wiper attached to the slide? Same effect but no spring to work against.

I'd been looking at this problem myself. I see that very thin nichrome wire is ~40ohms/foot and videotape is about 100Kohms/inch. Any suggestions for something in-between?

johnwasser:
The problem I see with the string potentiometer is the return spring. You have to work against it and I think it will limit return speed.

Yes, that's what I think... I've never used string potentiometers so I have no idea what kind of force is involved, but it's likely enough to upset playability.

johnwasser:

This is an intriguing idea. I think I could make this work, but I really don't know where to start (I'm more of a software guy). Could you point me in the general direction (products and projects I should look at).

Chagrin:
I'd been looking at this problem myself. I see that very thin nichrome wire is ~40ohms/foot and videotape is about 100Kohms/inch. Any suggestions for something in-between?

Are you working on a trombone slide?

Thanks,
Sylvain

This may sound stupid, but if you taped an optical mouse to your trombone, do you think it would sense and measure the movement of the slide? I did something like that with an optical mouse and a syringe to measure the amount of fluid delivered. Since you have nothing better at the moment, you could try that.

Another possibility is a strip of plastic with alternating clear and dark lines. An optical quadrature encoder like on a inkjet carriage would then track the movement along the strip. The strip could be on the slide so the electro-optical parts don't have to move.