Swapping a USB cable for wifi?

I've never tried this so I'd like some help before committing.

I have a client who wants the Mega controller to be accessed wirelessly and not by USB cable. Is it as simple as getting a wireless adapter / dongle and plugging it into the Mega's USB type B port? How will the Arduino IDE know that is it is connected on another port. How will the Mac know it's on its network? I'm a PC guy so don't know much about configuring a Mac.

I contemplated the WIFI shield but I've used up almost every pin on the Mega.

Also, most USB wireless adapters have a Type A plug. How do I convert that to a Type B to insert into the Mega?

No, it's not that simple.

The Lantronix XPORT might be the easiest way to get Serial communications over a network. I guess they have wireless versions too.

It's more difficult to program the MEGA over the network. Usually you should not make it programmable so it can't be unintentionally "hacked" by sending the wrong thing over the network.

I do not know of any simple solution.

One solution is to connect a Raspberry Pi 3 to the Mega via USB cable. The Pi 3/3+ has built-in WiFi. The Arduino IDE runs on the Raspberry Pi so it includes avrdude. If you do not want to run the IDE on the Pi, just run ssh and avrdude. Compile on your development system to generate a BIN file. Copy the BIN (scp or ftp) file to the Pi then run avrdude to burn the Mega.

If you do not want to run the Pi GUI and run command line only, a Raspberry Pi Zero W should work fine for ssh, scp, and avrdude. It has WiFi and USB host.

When you say wirelessly does it have to be Wi-Fi? You can modify HC-05 bluetooth boards to allow wireless sketch upload.

If it has to be Wi-Fi then maybe the Jeelabs ESP-Link though I’m not sure if the Mega uses stk500v2 instead of stk500v1.

Hello you can use a esp8266 wifi module. I have use a few of them on my wireless projects and there cheap too. Only requires two pins

josephchrzempiec:
Hello you can use a esp8266 wifi module. I have use a few of them on my wireless projects and there cheap too. Only requires two pins

How do you use the esp to program the arduino then?

The rPi solution is what i have. Rpi with the arduino hooked up to it. Use a vnc on my tablet/laptop/phone to edit and upload sketches. I guess this is actually one of the easiest ways. Certainly not the cheapest…

There are many examples out there. Click Here.

Thanks will have a look